Re: SSAN on Applications

  • Ken.Walker@mscsoftware.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2004
      Although I think the SSAN/application discussion is a bit off-topic in a
      training forum, the owner/moderator hasn't made the same observation. So,
      here's my belated 0.02 worth.....

      Chuck hit the nail on the head. I'm not worried about the Council
      professionals misuse of my SSAN. I'm worried about what happens to that
      little slip 'o paper AFTER they've completed the background check. My guess
      is they're filed in the dumpster behind the council offices. You know how
      personal information is usually stolen? Yep - dumpster diving thieves.
      There's enough info on a BSA application for a identity thief to have a his
      way with your financial life.

      First, there's your address and phone number. That's all he needs to "drop
      by" and grab a few bank and credit card statements from the mailbox. Once
      he has account numbers and the SSAN, he is armed and very dangerous. Call
      your financial institution, and what's the typical "secret code" to access
      private financial information? I usually get these two questions:
      -"What is your mailing address?" and
      -"What are the last for digits of your SSN?"

      TA DA! Done! He's in. Next step -- he changes the mailing address, orders
      some checks, has new cards sent, and your life becomes pure misery.
      Don't think it can happen to you? Think again. It happens every day.
      Identity theft is the top consumer fraud gripe in our country.

      If you haven't followed Chuck's link, you should. And, if you don't ask
      yourself - does this person REALLY need my SSAN? you better!

      Note - I agree that we need to screen adult leaders and run complete
      background checks (using the SSAN if necessary). However, I would prefer
      BSA use a separate "Consent to Background Check" form that only has the
      name and SSAN. Let's not make it too easy for a thief to get all the
      information from one sheet of paper!

      -Ken

      Scouter Chuck observed:

      > There was an article in Wired a while back, on the use or overuse
      > of the SSN as an ID number.
      >
      > The article can be referenced here:
      > > 9-Digit 'Social' Overused as ID
      > > http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,57395,00.html
      >
      > Two quotes from that article that bear on this situation are:
      > > Faced with growing pressure from constituents concerned about the
      > > risks of identity theft, lawmakers are contemplating ways to
      > > curtail use of Social Security numbers for purposes other than
      > > taxpayer identification.
      >
      > > "The Social Security number is so abused in today's world that
      > > it's a very, very poor way to identify anyone," Allen said. "They
      > > need to come up with some other way."
      >
      > While I agree that we need to do something about the problem of
      > getting properly "vetted" people in leadership positions, I'm not
      > completely certain that this is the way to go about it.
    • Margaret Eacker
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2004
        Actually the Council has to keep their copy for audit purposes.
        Most Councils also use a shredding service for any documents of
        sensitive nature.

        M Eacker
        Double Buffalo
        Wife of Council President
        On Saturday, April 3, 2004, at 08:57 AM, Ken.Walker@...
        wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > > There was an article in Wired a while back, on the use or overuse
        > > of the SSN as an ID number.
        > >
        > > The article can be referenced here:
        > > > 9-Digit 'Social' Overused as ID
        > > > http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,57395,00.html
        > >
        > > Two quotes from that article that bear on this situation are:
        > > > Faced with growing pressure from constituents concerned about the
        > > > risks of identity theft, lawmakers are contemplating ways to
        > > > curtail use of Social Security numbers for purposes other than
        > > > taxpayer identification.
        > >
        > > > "The Social Security number is so abused in today's world that
        > > > it's a very, very poor way to identify anyone," Allen said. "They
        > > > need to come up with some other way."
        > >
        > > While I agree that we need to do something about the problem of
        > > getting properly "vetted" people in leadership positions, I'm not
        > > completely certain that this is the way to go about it.

        <image.tiff>