Training Theme needed

  • MALesniak@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2004
      Hello fellow trainers,

      We've loosely used 3 themes for our annual training/Scout University -
      Leading with Enthusiasm,j Space type thing and the Racing idea.

      I'm writing ads for our fall training and want to really get into a theme
      this year to draw attention to the training schedule...our numbers are down and I
      think we need to grab the interest of the adults.

      Any theme ideas that I can run with? I'm drawing a blank.

      Michelle Lesniak
      Council Training Chair
      Moraine Trails Council, Butler PA

    • Gail
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2004
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, MALesniak@a... wrote:

        > Any theme ideas that I can run with? I'm drawing a blank.

        Michelle,

        How about the "Learning Express" and use a train in your promotions
        and the staff wears conductors caps and use whistles in between
        class.

        Or I'll share this from NE II-118... a lighthouse to "Shine the
        Light on Leadership"

        Then there is the surfer theme where you can "Catch the Wave"

        Or the ruler and state that "Training Rules"

        I'll keep brainstorming...
        Gail
      • MALesniak@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2004
          Super ideas Gail...thanks!

        • Nadine MELCHIOR
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
            The best theme I have ever seen was used for a Wood Badge course,
            Plant A Seed And Watch It Grow

            I think that says it all!

            Nadine Melchior
            A good 'Ol Bobwhite too... C-CS-14

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2004
              Michelle wrote: Any theme ideas that I can run with? I'm drawing a blank.

              "The Training Train" always works. Wooden train whistles and conductor caps
              for all the staff.

              "Cub/Boy Scout Magic" has been a favorite of mine over the years. Each
              member of the staff did a magic trick during the training, then showed how
              it was done. These made for good learning by participants, and gave them
              something practical to take back to their units.

              Themes that have to do with adventure always seem to work well. Space,
              pirates, the Wild West, etc. These also give you a variety of morale
              features and costuming possibilities.

              We've done Wood Badge training with some of the following themes: "Get
              Hooked on Wood Badge" (Peter Pan theme), "Last Train to Gilwell" (our last
              'old' course), "Fire, Wind, and the Spirit Within" (Native American theme),
              and this year will be "Turning Acorns into Mighty Oaks."

              We've done BALOO training with a Jungle theme (which is kind of what
              National suggests), a Hawaiian theme ("What's all the Hula-Baloo about
              BALOO?", where we made Hawaiian 'uniform' shirts), and this year "The BALOOs
              Brothers" during which we'll all dress like Jake, Elwood, and the Blues
              Brothers band. Hey, it's an excuse for me to play some rockin' blues tunes
              during the training, and throw a little chicken wire on the stage, OK?! (I'm
              still working on putting the "Aims and Purposes" presentation to a karaoke
              of "Minnie the Moocher...") Seriously, we're doing different areas with
              names from the movie. Our main presentation area is Bob's Country Bunker,
              the campfire takes place in the Palace Hotel Ballroom, games will be in
              Daley Plaza, cooking is at the Soul Food Café, camping exhibits are at 1060
              West Addison (Wrigley Field), and our Health and Safety discussion is in
              Joliet State Prison.

              Back in the days of Cub Leader Basic, I had the framework of a Monty Python
              training in place, but National changed the training over to the new NLE and
              PST, so it was never 'born.'

              YiS,
              Sean
            • MALesniak@aol.com