Roundtable Training

  • John Halter
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 15, 2004
      I'm curious...how does your council/district handle training for your
      Roundtable staff? Is the training handled at the district or council level?
      I was at our council camp's scout shop yesterday and noticed a Boy Scout
      Roundtable training book, but when I asked about a Cub Scout version, they
      said they were sold out. I asked about ordering one and was told that it was
      no longer in print. If anyone has a copy or knows where I could get a copy of
      the Cub Roundtable training book, please email me off list with the details.

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      Cubmaster
      Pack 230 Apopka Florida
      www.pack230.com
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      Troop 936 Longwood Florida
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

    • Ken.Walker@mscsoftware.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 16, 2004
        John Halter asked:
        > I'm curious...how does your council/district handle training for your
        > Roundtable staff? Is the training handled at the district or council
        level?

        Don't know - I'm a newbie Roundtable staffer, and was wondering the same
        thing.
        :^(

        > I was at our council camp's scout shop yesterday and noticed a Boy Scout
        > Roundtable training book, but when I asked about a Cub Scout version,
        they
        > said they were sold out. I asked about ordering one and was told that it
        was
        > no longer in print. If anyone has a copy or knows where I could geta
        copy of
        > the Cub Roundtable training book, please email me off list with the
        details.

        Hand raised - I'm curious too. I do have a copy of the RT Planning guide,
        but that's not a training tool (although it is a nice collection of info
        for the year!).

        -Ken
      • Hank Voegtle
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 16, 2004
          In my council commissioner RT commissioner training, both basic and
          advanced, is done annually at the commissioners' college. In my council
          that's done in August, but YAMMV.

        • MALesniak@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 16, 2004
            I'm on Cub Scout Roundtable Staff and the Training Chair for my Council.
            There is a training syllabus for Roundtable Staffs but it falls under the
            Commissioner Training materials. I've never attended the training but read the old
            syllabus that I found in the Training Committee materials.

            My copy is called "Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner and Staff Basic Training
            Manual". It has a copyright date of 1997 and item # 33013. I'll bet there
            are updated versions, but I've never checked for them. Our Council
            Commissioner said that they arrange this type of training as a "cluster training" and
            there hasn't been one since I came on roundtable staff this past summer.

            Hope this helps.
            Michelle Lesniak
            Moraine Trails Council, Butler PA

          • Dave Loomis
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
              According to last year's Scouting Library of Literature, the Cub R/T
              Training booklet is #33013A, while the Boy Scout R/T Training booklet
              is #34256. They retail for $ 8.55 and $ 5.95 respectively. This
              means that they should be available from the National Supply Service,
              in NC, 1 800 323 0732.

              Dave

              MALesniak@... wrote:

              > I'm on Cub Scout Roundtable Staff and the Training Chair for my Council.
              > There is a training syllabus for Roundtable Staffs but it falls under the
              > Commissioner Training materials. I've never attended the training but read the old
              > syllabus that I found in the Training Committee materials.
              >
              > My copy is called "Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner and Staff Basic Training
              > Manual". It has a copyright date of 1997 and item # 33013. I'll bet there
              > are updated versions, but I've never checked for them. Our Council
              > Commissioner said that they arrange this type of training as a "cluster training" and
              > there hasn't been one since I came on roundtable staff this past summer.
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              > Michelle Lesniak
              > Moraine Trails Council, Butler PA

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > .

              Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
              245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
              Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
            • Dan Kurtenbach
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
                For the last few years, National Capital Area Council has been doing
                Roundtable Commissioner training at our annual Key Scouter Training Seminar.

                Dan Kurtenbach
                Fairfax, VA

              • John Halter
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
                  I called and was told that it is no longer available and there is no
                  replacement. When I asked what are we supposed to do about training, I was
                  given the number for the cub division in Texas.
                  :- (

                  Quoting Dave Loomis <dloomis@...>:

                  > According to last year's Scouting Library of Literature, the Cub R/T
                  > Training booklet is #33013A, while the Boy Scout R/T Training booklet
                  > is #34256. They retail for $ 8.55 and $ 5.95 respectively. This
                  > means that they should be available from the National Supply Service,
                  > in NC, 1 800 323 0732.
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > MALesniak@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm on Cub Scout Roundtable Staff and the Training Chair for my Council.
                  > > There is a training syllabus for Roundtable Staffs but it falls under the
                  > > Commissioner Training materials. I've never attended the training but read
                  > the old
                  > > syllabus that I found in the Training Committee materials.
                  > >
                  > > My copy is called "Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner and Staff Basic
                  > Training
                  > > Manual". It has a copyright date of 1997 and item # 33013. I'll bet there
                  >
                  > > are updated versions, but I've never checked for them. Our Council
                  > > Commissioner said that they arrange this type of training as a "cluster
                  > training" and
                  > > there hasn't been one since I came on roundtable staff this past summer.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps.
                  > > Michelle Lesniak
                  > > Moraine Trails Council, Butler PA

                  > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                  > >
                  > > Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > >
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > > .
                  > >

                  > --
                  >
                  > To reply, click on the mailto: address below.
                  >
                  > Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                  > 245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                  > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Kay Adams
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2006
                    two questions. 1. Is there a seperate training for Cound Table Commissioners??? 2. Does anyone have it in electronic form??

                    Thanks in advance

                    Kay Adams
                    Northern Lights Council
                    All of ND & parts of MN, MT SD

                    kaymadams@...

                  • Don Wilson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 18, 2006
                      Hi, Kay,

                      Roundtable Commissioners fall under the District Commissioner's
                      staff. Commissioner training, both for unit service and roundtable,
                      is the responsibility of the Council Commissioner, or at least that
                      is the way it works in our council.

                      Commissioner training, other than Basic Commissioner Training which
                      is conducted under the Council Commissioners direction, is presented
                      at an annual Commissioner's College. Our College rotates with two
                      other councils, Blue Ridge Mountain and Old North State. Unit
                      service training offers Bachelor, Master, Doctorate (two years) and
                      Post Doctorate. Roundtable training offers Bachelors and Masters.
                      There are some occasions where both are combined into one session,
                      but when I attended it was two sessions over two years. The
                      attendance averages about 150 Commissioners.

                      Commissioner training manuals should be available at your council
                      office. It is possible to obtain the information and at least get an
                      idea of the purpose and directions of roundtables, but formal
                      training should be completed. Meeting with 20-50 other Roundtable
                      Commissioners is a great opportunity to build networks and to
                      exchange ideas.

                      Don Wilson
                      Assistant District Commissioner for Recharter
                      Unit Commissioner (17 years)
                      Past District Commissioner (5 years)
                      Distinguished Unit Commissioner
                      Distinguished District Commissioner
                      Doctorate Unit Service
                      Masters Roundtable
                    • Dave Loomis
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 18, 2006
                        There are two training pamphlets, Boy Scout Roundtable Training,
                        #34256, and Cub Scout Roundtable Guide, #34239. Each has a letter
                        indicating its publication date. The Boy Scout one runs $6.00, and the
                        Cub Scout version around $ 8.00, probably because the Cub Scout
                        Roundtable involves so much more for the leaders.

                        Dave

                        Kay Adams wrote:

                        > two questions. 1. Is there a seperate training for Cound Table
                        > Commissioners??? 2. Does anyone have it in electronic form??
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance
                        >
                        > Kay Adams
                        > Northern Lights Council
                        > All of ND & parts of MN, MT SD
                        >
                        > kaymadams@... <mailto:kaymadams%40yahoo.com>

                        ADC & BS Training Chair
                        Historic District
                        Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                        245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                        Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                      • Gerry Moon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 18, 2006
                          Actually there IS a syllabus for Cub Scout Roundtable and Staff
                          Basic Training - separate and apart from Commissioner Basic Training
                          (which focuses on training for Unit Commissioners). The RT
                          Commissioner and Staff training is specific to Cub Scout
                          Roundtables. There is also a syllabus for Boy Scout RT Commissioner
                          and Staff training (although I have not seen it personally). I am
                          serving as course director for the Cub RT training in my home
                          Council this year - it's being done mid-July.

                          What you are referencing for $8 is the Cub Scout RT Planning Guide -
                          more of a "Program Helps" for Cub RT Staffs. The training I'm
                          putting on is needed to qualify to wear the "Trained" strip below
                          the position patch for Cub RT Commissioners and Cub RT Staff
                          members; it is also a requirement for Cub RT Commissioners to earn
                          the Scouter's Key and for Cub RT Staff people to earn the Scouter's
                          Training Award. Cub RT Commissioners must also complete Commissioner
                          Basic Training (as you mentioned previously) to earn the Scouter's
                          Key.

                          Your Friend in Scouting,
                          Gerry Moon
                          Little Econ District
                          Communications Chair
                          Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
                          Cub Scout Training Team
                          Unit Commissioner
                          ...and a good ol' SR-584 Fox, too...
                        • Dave Loomis
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 18, 2006
                            You're right. The Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner and Staff
                            training book is #33013, I just picked the wrong book. The Boy Scout
                            Roundtable Commissioners course is # 34256, as I said earlier. The
                            costs are around $ 9.00 and $ 8.00 respectively.

                            According to the most recent copy of the Leadership Training
                            Committee Guide, Roundtable Staff do not need Commissioner Training to
                            earn the Scouter's Training Award or wear the trained strip.

                            I think one of the problems is one that Mike Walton has addressed
                            earlier, the tendency to consider and treat these people like Scouters
                            and not Commissioners in many councils. Thus they may be told to wear
                            Scout or Cub devices on their Training Awards and Scouter's Keys, as
                            opposed to wearing the Commissioner device.

                            Thanks for the correction.

                            Dave

                            Gerry Moon wrote:

                            > Actually there IS a syllabus for Cub Scout Roundtable and Staff
                            > Basic Training - separate and apart from Commissioner Basic Training
                            > (which focuses on training for Unit Commissioners). The RT
                            > Commissioner and Staff training is specific to Cub Scout
                            > Roundtables. There is also a syllabus for Boy Scout RT Commissioner
                            > and Staff training (although I have not seen it personally). I am
                            > serving as course director for the Cub RT training in my home
                            > Council this year - it's being done mid-July.
                            >
                            > What you are referencing for $8 is the Cub Scout RT Planning Guide -
                            > more of a "Program Helps" for Cub RT Staffs. The training I'm
                            > putting on is needed to qualify to wear the "Trained" strip below
                            > the position patch for Cub RT Commissioners and Cub RT Staff
                            > members; it is also a requirement for Cub RT Commissioners to earn
                            > the Scouter's Key and for Cub RT Staff people to earn the Scouter's
                            > Training Award. Cub RT Commissioners must also complete Commissioner
                            > Basic Training (as you mentioned previously) to earn the Scouter's
                            > Key.
                            >
                            > Your Friend in Scouting,
                            > Gerry Moon
                            > Little Econ District
                            > Communications Chair
                            > Cub Scout Roundtable Staff
                            > Cub Scout Training Team
                            > Unit Commissioner
                            > ...and a good ol' SR-584 Fox, too...
                            >
                            > __

                            ADC & BS Training Chair
                            Historic District
                            Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                            245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                            Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                          • Don Wilson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 18, 2006
                              > According to the most recent copy of the Leadership Training
                              > Committee Guide, Roundtable Staff do not need Commissioner Training to
                              > earn the Scouter's Training Award or wear the trained strip.

                              In the Commissioner Administration of Unit Service, 2005 printing
                              (34128) the requirements for Roundtable/Huddle Commissioner Progress
                              Record for the Arrowhead Honor/Commissioner Key, Basic Commissioner
                              Training is not needed for the Arrowhead Honor. However, under
                              TRAINING requirements for the Commissioner's Key, the Roundtable
                              Commissioner must "complete the 3-sesion training program outlined in
                              Commissioner Basic Training Manual, No. 33613C."

                              There are two courses included in the Continuing Education for
                              Commissioners manual (33615E). They are Effective Roundtables I and
                              II (BSC 108 and 109).

                              > I think one of the problems is one that Mike Walton has addressed
                              > earlier, the tendency to consider and treat these people like Scouters
                              > and not Commissioners in many councils. Thus they may be told to wear
                              > Scout or Cub devices on their Training Awards and Scouter's Keys, as
                              > opposed to wearing the Commissioner device.

                              I agree with the statement about wearing the correct devices. I have
                              seen commissioners with more than one Key knot without any devises.
                              Only one know should be work, and devices for all Keys earned should
                              be worn with that knot. A commissioner could wear the Cub Scout, Boy
                              Scout (or Scoutmaster) Venturing, District Committee, and
                              Commissioner. A few old Employer Keys can still be found on
                              uniforms. The commissioner sets the uniforming standard and should
                              be very familiar with how it should be worn.

                              Don Wilson
                            • Gerry Moon
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 19, 2006
                                Excellent point, Don, and I concur - RT Staffers are doing 100%
                                Commissioner work in their roles. I think the missing training
                                requirement for the Arrowhead might _imply_ that when you get that
                                award, you are already trained as a Commissioner (thru Basic
                                Commissioner Training). I have been on RT staff long enough to have
                                earned the green knot (and get tapped to CD the next RT course :-0),
                                but I'm relatively new in my role as a Unit Commissioner and my
                                learning of Commissioner science. Another very good point you make
                                is that as Commissioners, we should be knowing right from wrong when
                                it comes to uniforming - and as RT staffers, we fall into that
                                category. Thanks for expanding the discussion.

                                Gerry Moon
                                Orlando, FL

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...>
                                wrote:

                                > In the Commissioner Administration of Unit Service, 2005 printing
                                > (34128) the requirements for Roundtable/Huddle Commissioner
                                >Progress Record for the Arrowhead Honor/Commissioner Key, Basic
                                >Commissioner Training is not needed for the Arrowhead Honor.
                                >However, under TRAINING requirements for the Commissioner's Key,
                                >the Roundtable Commissioner must "complete the 3-sesion training
                                >program outlined in Commissioner Basic Training Manual, No. 33613C."

                                >I think one of the problems is one that Mike Walton has addressed
                                >earlier, the tendency to consider and treat these people like
                                >Scouters and not Commissioners in many councils. Thus they may be
                                >told to wear Scout or Cub devices on their Training Awards and
                                >Scouter's Keys, as opposed to wearing the Commissioner device.

                                >I agree with the statement about wearing the correct devices. I
                                >have seen commissioners with more than one Key knot without any
                                >devises. Only one know should be work, and devices for all Keys
                                >earned should be worn with that knot. A commissioner could wear
                                >the Cub Scout, Boy Scout (or Scoutmaster) Venturing, District
                                >Committee, and Commissioner. A few old Employer Keys can still be
                                >found on uniforms. The commissioner sets the uniforming standard
                                >and should be very familiar with how it should be worn.
                              • S.Powell
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
                                  Actually Dave the most recent copy of Leadership Training Committee
                                  Guide (2006, 34169A) does have the requirement for Basic Training . It
                                  states: "Complete basic training for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity, or
                                  Venturing roundtable commissioners". If you are saying they do need
                                  need Unit Commissioner training or some other commissioner training then
                                  I'd agree with you. This information is on Page 60 btw.

                                  Also, I wear the Commissioner device on the Scouter's Training Award
                                  along with the FDL for Scoutmaster Training having earned that as well.

                                  YiS,
                                  Steve

                                  Dave Loomis wrote:

                                  > According to the most recent copy of the Leadership Training
                                  > Committee Guide, Roundtable Staff do not need Commissioner Training to
                                  > earn the Scouter's Training Award or wear the trained stripe

                                • S.Powell
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                                    I meant "do not need" and not "need need".

                                    S.Powell wrote:

                                    > If you are saying they do need need Unit Commissioner training or some
                                    > other commissioner training then I'd agree with you. This information
                                    > is on Page 60 btw.

                                  • Dave Loomis
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 2, 2006
                                      Stephanie,
                                      Those requirements have always been with us. Roundtable staff do
                                      not need to take the Commissioner's Basic training, # 33631E, Roundtable
                                      Commissioners do. Roundtable Commissioners take The Cub Scout
                                      Roundtable Commissioner and Staff course is #33013. The Boy Scout
                                      Roundtable Commissioners and Staff course is # 34256, as I said
                                      earlier. I don't have a current Library of Literature, so I don't have
                                      any course number of Varsity and Venturing Huddle, or Roundtable staff
                                      requirements.

                                      Dave