Outdoor Skills Training Help

  • Robert M. Gross
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 14, 2004
      I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
      Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you have
      any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.

      Robert M. Gross
      Committee Chair
      BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
      I used to be a Fox...
      grossrm@...

    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
        Congratulations!

        First I ask if you're only doing for the Outdoor section. Here we like to
        have continuity between the 'classroom' and the 'practical.' We like to
        introduce the SPL at the classroom, so that 1) he's familiar w/ the patrols
        and 2) the patrols are familiar with him.

        You'll basically be the "big brother". That being said, you must set the
        example of the "ultimate" Boy Scout. What those leaders see YOU doing, they
        will do with their troops.

        As SPL you are the "leader". You can expect to instruct your patrols /
        patrol leaders on what they are to be doing. You'll be their "go to" for
        questions.

        You'll be working with the Course Director. See if they have a schedule
        worked out. It's good to know in advance what the schedule will look like,
        and what you're up against. I'd recommend picking up your own copy of the
        syllabus (or asking your course director for a copy).

        The SPL in our training runs the campfire. (By run, I mean "MC"). But,
        above everything -- you must HAVE FUN. If you enjoy yourself, the patrols
        will enjoy themselves, too. If you're miserable, you can bet that your
        patrols will be miserable.

        Ida Lively
        - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:32:32 -0500
        > From: "Robert M. Gross" <grossrm@...>
        > Subject: Outdoor Skills Training Help
        >
        > I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
        > Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you
        > have
        > any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.
        >
        > Robert M. Gross
        > Committee Chair
        > BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
        > I used to be a Fox...
        > grossrm@...

        > Message: 3
        > Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:46:53 -0000
        > From: "V. Chua" <rashni@...>
        > Subject: Eagle CoH
        >
        > Greetings one and all -
        >
        > Our troop is going to have an Eagle CoH for 3 scouts and they have asked me
        > to be the Master of Ceremonies....which leads me to the question. Is there a
        > format to follow to be an MC? Are there things that should be addressed and
        > things that should be avoided?
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated especially since I have never been an
        > MC before.
        >
        > Thanks and YiS,
        >
        > Victor Vergara
        > T91, Trenton, NJ

        Ida Lively

        --

        Forms Coordinator

        AccuWeather, Inc.
        385 Science Park Road
        State College, PA 16803
        (814) 237 - 0309 x 7759
        Fax: (814) 238 - 1339

        Get the best weather on the web . . . AccuWeather.com.
      • Robert M. Gross
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
          Nope - whole thing.

          Bob Gross