Re: [Scouter_T] Board of Review situation

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2004
      Pete wrote...

      > Is it possible that the Scout in question has
      > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)? Not all these
      > cases involve hyperactivity (ADHD) and actually
      > some ADD kids are introverted and will not give an answer
      > even if they know it. If a boy has special needs
      > they should be made known to the board before the review.
      >
      > I'm not saying that this is so in this case, but it is
      > a possibility.

      I was going to bring up the same thing, but have not had time to
      compose the reply. I have to add, too, that many of these kids
      will know the answer until you ask them, at which point you get the
      "deer in the headlights look" and their mind goes totally blank.

      It's not for no reason that the older advancement materials
      indicated that "testing for rank" was to be by SM observation.
      I.e., when the SM saw the Scout performing the required task, it
      was quietly signed off.

      For a boy with ADHD, testing becomes MAJOR STRESS. You know, that
      could also explain the "in your face" parent.

      The SM Conference is to reinforce that learning and to find out how
      the boy is doing in his own mind. The BOR is a review of the Troop
      program.

      The SM and ASMs are not to sit on the BOR, because if the Scout is
      having a problem with one of them, and he sees you as one of them
      as well, he won't speak up and will eventually leave.

      That is one reason why I question the BOR members wearing the
      uniform around the Scouts. They see the uniform, and you become a
      SA or SM in their minds.

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • phoage
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14, 2004
        Obviously I have not checked this group in a while. The previous
        answers were all good but there is one thing that was barely touched
        on that might also help.

        We had a similar situation. It didn't get to the BOR level
        fortunately. Dad was not involved with the troop due to job pressure.
        Mom was (is) a definate type A personality ( and a generally
        wonderful person but...). Her son was going to make Eagle and time is
        a wastin'.

        The Scouts in our troop (like most Scouts) know what the score is and
        will not put up with half baked leaders. The Scout in question could
        do almost anything required of him as long as an adult wasn't around.
        If there was an adult around, he had a hard time tying his shoes.

        We (the adults who went out to things other than meetings) have seen
        him do the stuff when the boys didn't know we were around.

        It turns out he was intentionally blowing the tests. My son was SPL
        and told me in confidence. He ( the Scout) did not feel he was ready
        for the advancement his mother was pushing him for but would not
        complain to any of the other adults and could not/would not confront
        his mother. (I can understand the last. Although she is a generally
        nice person, I would be reluctnat to oppose her on anything I didn't
        feel very strongly on. Very posative personality.)

        my $0.02

        Patrick A. Hoage