Re: Board of Review situation

  • slpete42
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7 6:30 PM
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Cstrek97@a... wrote:

      > I got some heat from the mother. THAT'S what's bothering me.

      I would feel "hung out" by the Scoutmaster. Steve indicates best and
      proper practice for what should have happended around and at the
      Scoutmasters' conference before the board of review. I would ask
      myself how well am I doing with the SM. How good is my feedback in
      general and specifically on the earlier occassion of reservations
      about the first class board. Rarely, should bad boards be a boy's
      problem. My philistine attitude: That's what we pay the big bucks to
      the SMs for. My tendency in answering to Mom: Sorry, our procedures
      screwed up.

      "Often wrong, never uncertain"
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8 9:09 AM
        Is it possible that the Scout in question has
        Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)? Not all these
        cases involve hyperactivity (ADHD) and actually
        some ADD kids are introverted and will not give an answer
        even if they know it. If a boy has special needs
        they should be made known to the board before the review.

        I'm not saying that this is so in this case, but it is
        a possibility.

        Pete Mullaney

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8 2:42 PM
          Pete wrote...

          > Is it possible that the Scout in question has
          > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)? Not all these
          > cases involve hyperactivity (ADHD) and actually
          > some ADD kids are introverted and will not give an answer
          > even if they know it. If a boy has special needs
          > they should be made known to the board before the review.
          >
          > I'm not saying that this is so in this case, but it is
          > a possibility.

          I was going to bring up the same thing, but have not had time to
          compose the reply. I have to add, too, that many of these kids
          will know the answer until you ask them, at which point you get the
          "deer in the headlights look" and their mind goes totally blank.

          It's not for no reason that the older advancement materials
          indicated that "testing for rank" was to be by SM observation.
          I.e., when the SM saw the Scout performing the required task, it
          was quietly signed off.

          For a boy with ADHD, testing becomes MAJOR STRESS. You know, that
          could also explain the "in your face" parent.

          The SM Conference is to reinforce that learning and to find out how
          the boy is doing in his own mind. The BOR is a review of the Troop
          program.

          The SM and ASMs are not to sit on the BOR, because if the Scout is
          having a problem with one of them, and he sees you as one of them
          as well, he won't speak up and will eventually leave.

          That is one reason why I question the BOR members wearing the
          uniform around the Scouts. They see the uniform, and you become a
          SA or SM in their minds.

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • phoage
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14 6:31 AM
            Obviously I have not checked this group in a while. The previous
            answers were all good but there is one thing that was barely touched
            on that might also help.

            We had a similar situation. It didn't get to the BOR level
            fortunately. Dad was not involved with the troop due to job pressure.
            Mom was (is) a definate type A personality ( and a generally
            wonderful person but...). Her son was going to make Eagle and time is
            a wastin'.

            The Scouts in our troop (like most Scouts) know what the score is and
            will not put up with half baked leaders. The Scout in question could
            do almost anything required of him as long as an adult wasn't around.
            If there was an adult around, he had a hard time tying his shoes.

            We (the adults who went out to things other than meetings) have seen
            him do the stuff when the boys didn't know we were around.

            It turns out he was intentionally blowing the tests. My son was SPL
            and told me in confidence. He ( the Scout) did not feel he was ready
            for the advancement his mother was pushing him for but would not
            complain to any of the other adults and could not/would not confront
            his mother. (I can understand the last. Although she is a generally
            nice person, I would be reluctnat to oppose her on anything I didn't
            feel very strongly on. Very posative personality.)

            my $0.02

            Patrick A. Hoage