Re: [Scouter_T] Cubs vs Webelos

  • Brant Lippincott
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
      DJ,

      I'm goint to have to disagree with a statement you made. Cub Scouting - ALL of it - is a family program.

      The big difference is in WHO signs off on the requirements. In Wolf & Bear, the parent OR the den leader is the one who signs off. In Webelos, the den leader signs off - although many still allow parents to sign. Personally, I allowed parents to sign off on some stuff (Like Fitness "Discuss with a parent the evils of smoking..."). Others, I let the parent sign, but expected some documentation (Like Traveler).

      When camping, this is a parent-son activity. You don't take the boys out on your own.

      In the Wolf & Bear years, I encouraged the parents to work with the boys on requirements. I mapped out what I planned to do and let them know. Every boy who attended den meetings would do enough to earn the rank. Stuff done at home would fill in the gaps where he did not attend or were extras - like the way arrow points used to work.

      I see Webelos as a transition between doing things with your parents (in the wolf & Bear years) to doing everything with your patrol (in BOY Scouts).

      Hope that's some help.

      For the Boys,
      Brant Lippincott

      DAScouter <DAScouter@...> wrote:
      Presently I have wolf's. I make it a point to advise my parents that this is a family program up until Webelos. I try to reinforce in them that they need to sign the books.

      I'm curious what are the differences between Cubs and Webelos? What other differences are there besides the book issue?

      DJ

    • Duane Betteen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
        Scouting as a whole is a family program. From Tiger
        Cubs through Eagle Scout. Without the support of the
        family a boy may never achieve the goal of Eagle
        Scout. The family needs to be educate about what
        scouting is and also its goals. Read the mission
        statement it says it all. Starting with Tiger Cubs
        the program is teaching basic fundamentals to the
        young scouts and it is also teaching the scout law to
        them even though in basic way.
        The Webelos program is a transitional time when the
        young scouts are no longer Cub Scout but are not yet
        Boy Scouts. I guess you can refer to them as Boy
        Scouts in waiting. The Webelos are being taught the
        responisiblities of earning their activity pins. That
        is, where Mom or Dad signed off in the Cub Scout books
        this no longer exists in the Webelos Book. The
        Webelos are also taught what an adventure scouting can
        be by the way of Webelos Camps and Overnighters. This
        is where they learn the basic of camping and also self
        relience but also team work. The Webelos transition
        period is teaching the scouts to be Boy Scouts so the
        transition is not a big adjustment to Boy Scouting.
        Attend an Eagle Court of Honor sometime and you will
        see the pride exist between the Scout and the Parents
        making this program from Tiger Cubs to Eagle Scout a
        true family program.

        Duane Betteen
        ADC

        http://search.yahoo.com