Cubs vs Webelos

  • DAScouter
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
      << It was amazing that most of them had bee in Scout for 3-4 years and
      really didn't understand Cub Scouting. We taught them about the difference
      between Cubs and Webelos. >>

      Presently I have wolf's. I make it a point to advise my parents that this is
      a family program up until Webelos. I try to reinforce in them that they need
      to sign the books.

      I'm curious what are the differences between Cubs and Webelos? What other
      differences are there besides the book issue?

      DJ
    • Brant Lippincott
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
        DJ,

        I'm goint to have to disagree with a statement you made. Cub Scouting - ALL of it - is a family program.

        The big difference is in WHO signs off on the requirements. In Wolf & Bear, the parent OR the den leader is the one who signs off. In Webelos, the den leader signs off - although many still allow parents to sign. Personally, I allowed parents to sign off on some stuff (Like Fitness "Discuss with a parent the evils of smoking..."). Others, I let the parent sign, but expected some documentation (Like Traveler).

        When camping, this is a parent-son activity. You don't take the boys out on your own.

        In the Wolf & Bear years, I encouraged the parents to work with the boys on requirements. I mapped out what I planned to do and let them know. Every boy who attended den meetings would do enough to earn the rank. Stuff done at home would fill in the gaps where he did not attend or were extras - like the way arrow points used to work.

        I see Webelos as a transition between doing things with your parents (in the wolf & Bear years) to doing everything with your patrol (in BOY Scouts).

        Hope that's some help.

        For the Boys,
        Brant Lippincott

        DAScouter <DAScouter@...> wrote:
        Presently I have wolf's. I make it a point to advise my parents that this is a family program up until Webelos. I try to reinforce in them that they need to sign the books.

        I'm curious what are the differences between Cubs and Webelos? What other differences are there besides the book issue?

        DJ

      • Duane Betteen
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
          Scouting as a whole is a family program. From Tiger
          Cubs through Eagle Scout. Without the support of the
          family a boy may never achieve the goal of Eagle
          Scout. The family needs to be educate about what
          scouting is and also its goals. Read the mission
          statement it says it all. Starting with Tiger Cubs
          the program is teaching basic fundamentals to the
          young scouts and it is also teaching the scout law to
          them even though in basic way.
          The Webelos program is a transitional time when the
          young scouts are no longer Cub Scout but are not yet
          Boy Scouts. I guess you can refer to them as Boy
          Scouts in waiting. The Webelos are being taught the
          responisiblities of earning their activity pins. That
          is, where Mom or Dad signed off in the Cub Scout books
          this no longer exists in the Webelos Book. The
          Webelos are also taught what an adventure scouting can
          be by the way of Webelos Camps and Overnighters. This
          is where they learn the basic of camping and also self
          relience but also team work. The Webelos transition
          period is teaching the scouts to be Boy Scouts so the
          transition is not a big adjustment to Boy Scouting.
          Attend an Eagle Court of Honor sometime and you will
          see the pride exist between the Scout and the Parents
          making this program from Tiger Cubs to Eagle Scout a
          true family program.

          Duane Betteen
          ADC

          http://search.yahoo.com