Re: [Scouter_T] Adult Training during a Camporee Good or Bad?

  • Kay Adams
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
      In past years maybe even 10 or more we did "training" at our mom and me dad and me camp out which was intended for Webelos. The first few years we did it was when Webelos was only 1 year long!!! How old is that? What we did was called in "parent orientation" Since every boy had to come with a parent we had a lot of adults with not really much to do when the boys were off doing Archery BB guns etc. It was amazing that most of them had bee in Scout for 3-4 years and really didn't understand Cub Scouting. We taught them about the difference between Cubs and Webelos. It was very informal. But........... We recruited Lots of good people. We still have Scoutmaster who tell me that they really didn't understand the scouting program until they came to the mom and me camp out. Retention was up. It was good. We are talking about it again. I am hoping it happens but.................. It is a different world today then it was even 10 years ago. Parents are different!! I
      realize this is different than a camporee tho. Not sure the Scoutmasters would be as receptive to it as Parents who don't really have any or much kowledge!!

      Johnnie Wimpee <crew37malabar@...> wrote:
      I'm the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district. I
      ahve often thought the district could accomplish some adult training
      while the scouts are busy with the camporee activities.

      Has anyone had success with offering adult training as part of the
      camporee? What training class were offered?

      Thanks for any ideas

      Johnnie Wimpee
      CFC Manate District

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

      Kay Adams
      Northern Lights Council
      All of ND & parts of MN, MT SD

      kaymadams@...

    • Kris Swank
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2004
        While we haven't done training at Camporees at this point, for the past
        4 years I have scheduled Scoutmaster Training at our 2 "Merit Badge
        Workshops" each year. In September we do the SM/ASM Position Specific
        and schedule and IOLS with in 2 weekends. Then in February we do the
        Position Specific on 2 Thursday nights and IOLS at the Merit Badge
        Workshop. Some folks get it all done with in a couple of weeks, but some
        folks wait until the next workshop to finish up. It has made it easier
        to get folks trainer especially the Assistant Scoutmasters. We also
        draw our staff from trained folks who are attending who do not "teach" a
        merit badge.
        There has been a suggestion that we add Venturing Leader training to the
        Council Venturing event each year so the Advisors have something to do
        that day while the Crews are out doing Venturing things.
        YIS,
        Kris Swank
        AA C-589 Tyler
        ASM T-379 Winnsboro
        Okee Tuklo District Training Chair
        East Texas Area Council Webmaster
        http://www.etexscouts.com
        I used to be a Beaver SR-281...
        and a Gool Ol' Staffer Too SR-447, SR-554