Re: [Scouter_T] Adult Training during a Camporee Good or Bad?

  • Kay Adams
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
      In past years maybe even 10 or more we did "training" at our mom and me dad and me camp out which was intended for Webelos. The first few years we did it was when Webelos was only 1 year long!!! How old is that? What we did was called in "parent orientation" Since every boy had to come with a parent we had a lot of adults with not really much to do when the boys were off doing Archery BB guns etc. It was amazing that most of them had bee in Scout for 3-4 years and really didn't understand Cub Scouting. We taught them about the difference between Cubs and Webelos. It was very informal. But........... We recruited Lots of good people. We still have Scoutmaster who tell me that they really didn't understand the scouting program until they came to the mom and me camp out. Retention was up. It was good. We are talking about it again. I am hoping it happens but.................. It is a different world today then it was even 10 years ago. Parents are different!! I
      realize this is different than a camporee tho. Not sure the Scoutmasters would be as receptive to it as Parents who don't really have any or much kowledge!!

      Johnnie Wimpee <crew37malabar@...> wrote:
      I'm the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district. I
      ahve often thought the district could accomplish some adult training
      while the scouts are busy with the camporee activities.

      Has anyone had success with offering adult training as part of the
      camporee? What training class were offered?

      Thanks for any ideas

      Johnnie Wimpee
      CFC Manate District

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

      Kay Adams
      Northern Lights Council
      All of ND & parts of MN, MT SD

      kaymadams@...

    • R Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
        Greetings,

        Our District has done Youth Protection and Health & Safety at Camporees
        (where we had a facility with electricity) although some of these types
        of training can be done "the old fashioned way" with flip charts and a
        trainer leading a discussion. Besides the obvious advantage of getting
        leaders trained, it also gives them something to do so that they aren't
        following the boys around "offering suggestions".

        YiS

        Roy Fisher
      • Shaw
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
          What a great idea! I don't know why our Council hasn't done this. I certainly intend to pass it along to the rest of our training committees.

          Thanks for the idea.

          Pat Shaw
          Vulcan District Cub Scout Training Committee
          ASM Troop 69, Birmingham, AL
          Greater Alabama Council
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2004
            While we haven't done training at Camporees at this point, for the past
            4 years I have scheduled Scoutmaster Training at our 2 "Merit Badge
            Workshops" each year. In September we do the SM/ASM Position Specific
            and schedule and IOLS with in 2 weekends. Then in February we do the
            Position Specific on 2 Thursday nights and IOLS at the Merit Badge
            Workshop. Some folks get it all done with in a couple of weeks, but some
            folks wait until the next workshop to finish up. It has made it easier
            to get folks trainer especially the Assistant Scoutmasters. We also
            draw our staff from trained folks who are attending who do not "teach" a
            merit badge.
            There has been a suggestion that we add Venturing Leader training to the
            Council Venturing event each year so the Advisors have something to do
            that day while the Crews are out doing Venturing things.
            YIS,
            Kris Swank
            AA C-589 Tyler
            ASM T-379 Winnsboro
            Okee Tuklo District Training Chair
            East Texas Area Council Webmaster
            http://www.etexscouts.com
            I used to be a Beaver SR-281...
            and a Gool Ol' Staffer Too SR-447, SR-554