Adult Training during a Camporee Good or Bad?

  • Johnnie Wimpee
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
      I'm the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district. I
      ahve often thought the district could accomplish some adult training
      while the scouts are busy with the camporee activities.

      Has anyone had success with offering adult training as part of the
      camporee? What training class were offered?

      Thanks for any ideas

      Johnnie Wimpee
      CFC Manate District
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
        Johnnie Wimpee wrote...

        > I'm the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district. I
        > ahve often thought the district could accomplish some adult training
        > while the scouts are busy with the camporee activities.
        >
        > Has anyone had success with offering adult training as part of the
        > camporee? What training class were offered?
        >
        > Thanks for any ideas
        We've had moderate success with it, from what I hear. Some courses
        are more suitable to a camporee setting than others.

        What has proved most successful are the Boy Scout Leader Fast
        Start tapes (assuming you have a 120VAC bush handy for power. ;)

        I think YPP was also successfully done this way.

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • RodSmith
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
          We have had great success in doing Scoutmaster Training, Troop Committee
          Chair training and Venture Leader Training during our Fall camporees the
          past four years.

          We have had 25 to 30 take training. It works out great while the boys
          are doing the camporee activities, the adults there with the troop have
          an opportunity to get trained at an event they are all ready attending.
          That is "one less hour a week" that they need to spend.

          Rod Smith
          BSAC

          > I'm the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district. I
          > ahve often thought the district could accomplish some adult training
          > while the scouts are busy with the camporee activities.
          >
          > Has anyone had success with offering adult training as part of the
          > camporee? What training class were offered?
          >
          > Thanks for any ideas
          We've had moderate success with it, from what I hear. Some courses
          are more suitable to a camporee setting than others.

          What has proved most successful are the Boy Scout Leader Fast
          Start tapes (assuming you have a 120VAC bush handy for power. ;)

          I think YPP was also successfully done this way.

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Kay Adams
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
            In past years maybe even 10 or more we did "training" at our mom and me dad and me camp out which was intended for Webelos. The first few years we did it was when Webelos was only 1 year long!!! How old is that? What we did was called in "parent orientation" Since every boy had to come with a parent we had a lot of adults with not really much to do when the boys were off doing Archery BB guns etc. It was amazing that most of them had bee in Scout for 3-4 years and really didn't understand Cub Scouting. We taught them about the difference between Cubs and Webelos. It was very informal. But........... We recruited Lots of good people. We still have Scoutmaster who tell me that they really didn't understand the scouting program until they came to the mom and me camp out. Retention was up. It was good. We are talking about it again. I am hoping it happens but.................. It is a different world today then it was even 10 years ago. Parents are different!! I
            realize this is different than a camporee tho. Not sure the Scoutmasters would be as receptive to it as Parents who don't really have any or much kowledge!!

            Johnnie Wimpee <crew37malabar@...> wrote:
            I'm the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district. I
            ahve often thought the district could accomplish some adult training
            while the scouts are busy with the camporee activities.

            Has anyone had success with offering adult training as part of the
            camporee? What training class were offered?

            Thanks for any ideas

            Johnnie Wimpee
            CFC Manate District

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            Click Here

            Kay Adams
            Northern Lights Council
            All of ND & parts of MN, MT SD

            kaymadams@...

          • R Fisher
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
              Greetings,

              Our District has done Youth Protection and Health & Safety at Camporees
              (where we had a facility with electricity) although some of these types
              of training can be done "the old fashioned way" with flip charts and a
              trainer leading a discussion. Besides the obvious advantage of getting
              leaders trained, it also gives them something to do so that they aren't
              following the boys around "offering suggestions".

              YiS

              Roy Fisher
            • Shaw
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
                What a great idea! I don't know why our Council hasn't done this. I certainly intend to pass it along to the rest of our training committees.

                Thanks for the idea.

                Pat Shaw
                Vulcan District Cub Scout Training Committee
                ASM Troop 69, Birmingham, AL
                Greater Alabama Council

                > I'm the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district. I
                > ahve often thought the district could accomplish some adult training
                > while the scouts are busy with the camporee activities.
                >
                > Has anyone had success with offering adult training as part of the
                > camporee? What training class were offered?
                >
                > Thanks for any ideas
                We've had moderate success with it, from what I hear. Some courses
                are more suitable to a camporee setting than others.

                What has proved most successful are the Boy Scout Leader Fast
                Start tapes (assuming you have a 120VAC bush handy for power. ;)

                I think YPP was also successfully done this way.

                I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Kris Swank
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 7, 2004
                  While we haven't done training at Camporees at this point, for the past
                  4 years I have scheduled Scoutmaster Training at our 2 "Merit Badge
                  Workshops" each year. In September we do the SM/ASM Position Specific
                  and schedule and IOLS with in 2 weekends. Then in February we do the
                  Position Specific on 2 Thursday nights and IOLS at the Merit Badge
                  Workshop. Some folks get it all done with in a couple of weeks, but some
                  folks wait until the next workshop to finish up. It has made it easier
                  to get folks trainer especially the Assistant Scoutmasters. We also
                  draw our staff from trained folks who are attending who do not "teach" a
                  merit badge.
                  There has been a suggestion that we add Venturing Leader training to the
                  Council Venturing event each year so the Advisors have something to do
                  that day while the Crews are out doing Venturing things.
                  YIS,
                  Kris Swank
                  AA C-589 Tyler
                  ASM T-379 Winnsboro
                  Okee Tuklo District Training Chair
                  East Texas Area Council Webmaster
                  http://www.etexscouts.com
                  I used to be a Beaver SR-281...
                  and a Gool Ol' Staffer Too SR-447, SR-554