Re: [Scouter_T] Scouter-T is for TRAINING

  • tsbeb@att.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
      Michelle,

      NOLS is National Outdoor Leadership School, (http://www.nols.edu/),
      and AMC is the Appalachian Mountain Club.

      Your LNT State Advocate for Pennsylvania is David Chambers he can be reached at pakyak@... for training information. I believe that all LNT State Advocates have been notified by the Northeaast Region BSA.

      The Leave No Trace Trainer course is a 16 hour course with an over night backpack.
      The Leave No Trace Master Educator course is a five day backpack. You have to have CPR and WFA or WFR training.

      A Trainer can do workshops and informational sessons
      A Master Educator can train trainers and whatever trainers do.

      Sort of like WFA and WFR, Wildereness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder.

      The resident trainer at camp requirement is being rolled out in 2005. It is my understanding that they hoped that enough Venturers would take the LNT part of the Outdoor Bronze and Ranger Awards and become LNT Trainers, and then work at summer camp. I guess that it did not happen.

      In L,F,S
      Ted Beblowski
      Used to be a Beaver NE III 141 Venturing
      Powder Horn 2000

    • Robert M. Gross
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 14, 2004
        I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
        Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you have
        any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.

        Robert M. Gross
        Committee Chair
        BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
        I used to be a Fox...
        grossrm@...

      • Ida Lively
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
          Congratulations!

          First I ask if you're only doing for the Outdoor section. Here we like to
          have continuity between the 'classroom' and the 'practical.' We like to
          introduce the SPL at the classroom, so that 1) he's familiar w/ the patrols
          and 2) the patrols are familiar with him.

          You'll basically be the "big brother". That being said, you must set the
          example of the "ultimate" Boy Scout. What those leaders see YOU doing, they
          will do with their troops.

          As SPL you are the "leader". You can expect to instruct your patrols /
          patrol leaders on what they are to be doing. You'll be their "go to" for
          questions.

          You'll be working with the Course Director. See if they have a schedule
          worked out. It's good to know in advance what the schedule will look like,
          and what you're up against. I'd recommend picking up your own copy of the
          syllabus (or asking your course director for a copy).

          The SPL in our training runs the campfire. (By run, I mean "MC"). But,
          above everything -- you must HAVE FUN. If you enjoy yourself, the patrols
          will enjoy themselves, too. If you're miserable, you can bet that your
          patrols will be miserable.

          Ida Lively
          - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

          > Message: 2
          > Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:32:32 -0500
          > From: "Robert M. Gross" <grossrm@...>
          > Subject: Outdoor Skills Training Help
          >
          > I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
          > Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you
          > have
          > any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.
          >
          > Robert M. Gross
          > Committee Chair
          > BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
          > I used to be a Fox...
          > grossrm@...

          > Message: 3
          > Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:46:53 -0000
          > From: "V. Chua" <rashni@...>
          > Subject: Eagle CoH
          >
          > Greetings one and all -
          >
          > Our troop is going to have an Eagle CoH for 3 scouts and they have asked me
          > to be the Master of Ceremonies....which leads me to the question. Is there a
          > format to follow to be an MC? Are there things that should be addressed and
          > things that should be avoided?
          >
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated especially since I have never been an
          > MC before.
          >
          > Thanks and YiS,
          >
          > Victor Vergara
          > T91, Trenton, NJ

          Ida Lively

          --

          Forms Coordinator

          AccuWeather, Inc.
          385 Science Park Road
          State College, PA 16803
          (814) 237 - 0309 x 7759
          Fax: (814) 238 - 1339

          Get the best weather on the web . . . AccuWeather.com.
        • Robert M. Gross
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
            Nope - whole thing.

            Bob Gross