Re: [Scouter_T] Scouter-T is for TRAINING

  • Wendell Brown
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
      MALesniak@... wrote:

      > Thanks for the info. The term "Master Trainer" is new to me and I'm not
      > familiar with the 2 groups you mentioned NOLS or AMC either.

      NOLS is the National Outdoor Leadership School (http://www.nols.edu/),
      they offer classes for MANY outdoor skills - from LNT Master to
      Wilderness EMT. It's considered by many as THE high adventure training
      school. BTW, A "LNT Master" is the title of the person who is trained
      to teach LNT instructors.

      The BSA sites for LNT are:

      Principals of LNT - http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-105/
      Cub Scout LNT - http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-032/
      Teaching LNT - http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-117/

      The official Leave No Trace web site is http://www.lnt.org/ .

      Hope this helps.
    • tsbeb@att.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
        Michelle,

        NOLS is National Outdoor Leadership School, (http://www.nols.edu/),
        and AMC is the Appalachian Mountain Club.

        Your LNT State Advocate for Pennsylvania is David Chambers he can be reached at pakyak@... for training information. I believe that all LNT State Advocates have been notified by the Northeaast Region BSA.

        The Leave No Trace Trainer course is a 16 hour course with an over night backpack.
        The Leave No Trace Master Educator course is a five day backpack. You have to have CPR and WFA or WFR training.

        A Trainer can do workshops and informational sessons
        A Master Educator can train trainers and whatever trainers do.

        Sort of like WFA and WFR, Wildereness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder.

        The resident trainer at camp requirement is being rolled out in 2005. It is my understanding that they hoped that enough Venturers would take the LNT part of the Outdoor Bronze and Ranger Awards and become LNT Trainers, and then work at summer camp. I guess that it did not happen.

        In L,F,S
        Ted Beblowski
        Used to be a Beaver NE III 141 Venturing
        Powder Horn 2000

      • Robert M. Gross
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 14, 2004
          I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
          Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you have
          any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.

          Robert M. Gross
          Committee Chair
          BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
          I used to be a Fox...
          grossrm@...

        • Ida Lively
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
            Congratulations!

            First I ask if you're only doing for the Outdoor section. Here we like to
            have continuity between the 'classroom' and the 'practical.' We like to
            introduce the SPL at the classroom, so that 1) he's familiar w/ the patrols
            and 2) the patrols are familiar with him.

            You'll basically be the "big brother". That being said, you must set the
            example of the "ultimate" Boy Scout. What those leaders see YOU doing, they
            will do with their troops.

            As SPL you are the "leader". You can expect to instruct your patrols /
            patrol leaders on what they are to be doing. You'll be their "go to" for
            questions.

            You'll be working with the Course Director. See if they have a schedule
            worked out. It's good to know in advance what the schedule will look like,
            and what you're up against. I'd recommend picking up your own copy of the
            syllabus (or asking your course director for a copy).

            The SPL in our training runs the campfire. (By run, I mean "MC"). But,
            above everything -- you must HAVE FUN. If you enjoy yourself, the patrols
            will enjoy themselves, too. If you're miserable, you can bet that your
            patrols will be miserable.

            Ida Lively
            - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

            > Message: 2
            > Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:32:32 -0500
            > From: "Robert M. Gross" <grossrm@...>
            > Subject: Outdoor Skills Training Help
            >
            > I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
            > Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you
            > have
            > any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.
            >
            > Robert M. Gross
            > Committee Chair
            > BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
            > I used to be a Fox...
            > grossrm@...

            > Message: 3
            > Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:46:53 -0000
            > From: "V. Chua" <rashni@...>
            > Subject: Eagle CoH
            >
            > Greetings one and all -
            >
            > Our troop is going to have an Eagle CoH for 3 scouts and they have asked me
            > to be the Master of Ceremonies....which leads me to the question. Is there a
            > format to follow to be an MC? Are there things that should be addressed and
            > things that should be avoided?
            >
            > Any help would be greatly appreciated especially since I have never been an
            > MC before.
            >
            > Thanks and YiS,
            >
            > Victor Vergara
            > T91, Trenton, NJ

            Ida Lively

            --

            Forms Coordinator

            AccuWeather, Inc.
            385 Science Park Road
            State College, PA 16803
            (814) 237 - 0309 x 7759
            Fax: (814) 238 - 1339

            Get the best weather on the web . . . AccuWeather.com.
          • Robert M. Gross
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
              Nope - whole thing.

              Bob Gross