Re: [Scouter_T] Scouter-T is for TRAINING

  • MALesniak@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
      Our Nature Director at Cub Resident Camp always covers the Leave No Trace
      philosophy. I was not aware of a special "trainer course" that is available. Is
      it new to go with all the more recent publications?

      Michelle

    • tsbeb@att.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
        Michelle

        The LNT trainer course can only be given by a Master Trainer. I believe that it will be required by 2005 to have a LNT Trainer on staff at all summer camps to run workshops once a week for Scout and Cub leaders. The Master course is given only by groups approved by NOLS or The AMC on the East Coast.

        I have been asked to run three trainer courses for scouters in the spring of 2005.

        Ted

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
          Ted,

          Thanks for the info. The term "Master Trainer" is new to me and I'm not
          familiar with the 2 groups you mentioned NOLS or AMC either.

          As Council Training Chair and Camp Director, I hope there is literature about
          this change forwarded to me through my Council but I haven't been given
          anything to date.

          If you can reference any materials directly, I'll have Council order me
          copies.

          Thanks again,
          Michelle Lesniak
          Moraine Trails Council Butler, PA
          Camp Agawam Camp Director
          Council Training Chair
          "I used to be an Eagle....NE-IV-153...working on my ticket!"

        • Wendell Brown
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
            MALesniak@... wrote:

            > Thanks for the info. The term "Master Trainer" is new to me and I'm not
            > familiar with the 2 groups you mentioned NOLS or AMC either.

            NOLS is the National Outdoor Leadership School (http://www.nols.edu/),
            they offer classes for MANY outdoor skills - from LNT Master to
            Wilderness EMT. It's considered by many as THE high adventure training
            school. BTW, A "LNT Master" is the title of the person who is trained
            to teach LNT instructors.

            The BSA sites for LNT are:

            Principals of LNT - http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-105/
            Cub Scout LNT - http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-032/
            Teaching LNT - http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-117/

            The official Leave No Trace web site is http://www.lnt.org/ .

            Hope this helps.
          • tsbeb@att.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
              Michelle,

              NOLS is National Outdoor Leadership School, (http://www.nols.edu/),
              and AMC is the Appalachian Mountain Club.

              Your LNT State Advocate for Pennsylvania is David Chambers he can be reached at pakyak@... for training information. I believe that all LNT State Advocates have been notified by the Northeaast Region BSA.

              The Leave No Trace Trainer course is a 16 hour course with an over night backpack.
              The Leave No Trace Master Educator course is a five day backpack. You have to have CPR and WFA or WFR training.

              A Trainer can do workshops and informational sessons
              A Master Educator can train trainers and whatever trainers do.

              Sort of like WFA and WFR, Wildereness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder.

              The resident trainer at camp requirement is being rolled out in 2005. It is my understanding that they hoped that enough Venturers would take the LNT part of the Outdoor Bronze and Ranger Awards and become LNT Trainers, and then work at summer camp. I guess that it did not happen.

              In L,F,S
              Ted Beblowski
              Used to be a Beaver NE III 141 Venturing
              Powder Horn 2000

            • Robert M. Gross
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 14, 2004
                I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
                Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you have
                any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.

                Robert M. Gross
                Committee Chair
                BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
                I used to be a Fox...
                grossrm@...

              • Ida Lively
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
                  Congratulations!

                  First I ask if you're only doing for the Outdoor section. Here we like to
                  have continuity between the 'classroom' and the 'practical.' We like to
                  introduce the SPL at the classroom, so that 1) he's familiar w/ the patrols
                  and 2) the patrols are familiar with him.

                  You'll basically be the "big brother". That being said, you must set the
                  example of the "ultimate" Boy Scout. What those leaders see YOU doing, they
                  will do with their troops.

                  As SPL you are the "leader". You can expect to instruct your patrols /
                  patrol leaders on what they are to be doing. You'll be their "go to" for
                  questions.

                  You'll be working with the Course Director. See if they have a schedule
                  worked out. It's good to know in advance what the schedule will look like,
                  and what you're up against. I'd recommend picking up your own copy of the
                  syllabus (or asking your course director for a copy).

                  The SPL in our training runs the campfire. (By run, I mean "MC"). But,
                  above everything -- you must HAVE FUN. If you enjoy yourself, the patrols
                  will enjoy themselves, too. If you're miserable, you can bet that your
                  patrols will be miserable.

                  Ida Lively
                  - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

                  > Message: 2
                  > Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:32:32 -0500
                  > From: "Robert M. Gross" <grossrm@...>
                  > Subject: Outdoor Skills Training Help
                  >
                  > I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
                  > Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you
                  > have
                  > any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.
                  >
                  > Robert M. Gross
                  > Committee Chair
                  > BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
                  > I used to be a Fox...
                  > grossrm@...

                  > Message: 3
                  > Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:46:53 -0000
                  > From: "V. Chua" <rashni@...>
                  > Subject: Eagle CoH
                  >
                  > Greetings one and all -
                  >
                  > Our troop is going to have an Eagle CoH for 3 scouts and they have asked me
                  > to be the Master of Ceremonies....which leads me to the question. Is there a
                  > format to follow to be an MC? Are there things that should be addressed and
                  > things that should be avoided?
                  >
                  > Any help would be greatly appreciated especially since I have never been an
                  > MC before.
                  >
                  > Thanks and YiS,
                  >
                  > Victor Vergara
                  > T91, Trenton, NJ

                  Ida Lively

                  --

                  Forms Coordinator

                  AccuWeather, Inc.
                  385 Science Park Road
                  State College, PA 16803
                  (814) 237 - 0309 x 7759
                  Fax: (814) 238 - 1339

                  Get the best weather on the web . . . AccuWeather.com.
                • Robert M. Gross
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
                    Nope - whole thing.

                    Bob Gross