RE: [Scouter_T] Scouter-T is for TRAINING

  • tsbeb@att.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
      Just wondering who on camp staff are you training as a LNT trainer? I understand that some camps are having their nature directors take the trainer course.

      I have been contacted by some camps where the camp director is wanting to take a course.

      In L,F,S
      Ted Beblowski
      Leave No Trace State Advocate - New York
      Leave No Trace Master Educator
      Twin Rivers Council
      Training Staff
      Camping Committee

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
        Our Nature Director at Cub Resident Camp always covers the Leave No Trace
        philosophy. I was not aware of a special "trainer course" that is available. Is
        it new to go with all the more recent publications?

        Michelle

      • tsbeb@att.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
          Michelle

          The LNT trainer course can only be given by a Master Trainer. I believe that it will be required by 2005 to have a LNT Trainer on staff at all summer camps to run workshops once a week for Scout and Cub leaders. The Master course is given only by groups approved by NOLS or The AMC on the East Coast.

          I have been asked to run three trainer courses for scouters in the spring of 2005.

          Ted

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
            Ted,

            Thanks for the info. The term "Master Trainer" is new to me and I'm not
            familiar with the 2 groups you mentioned NOLS or AMC either.

            As Council Training Chair and Camp Director, I hope there is literature about
            this change forwarded to me through my Council but I haven't been given
            anything to date.

            If you can reference any materials directly, I'll have Council order me
            copies.

            Thanks again,
            Michelle Lesniak
            Moraine Trails Council Butler, PA
            Camp Agawam Camp Director
            Council Training Chair
            "I used to be an Eagle....NE-IV-153...working on my ticket!"

          • Wendell Brown
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
              MALesniak@... wrote:

              > Thanks for the info. The term "Master Trainer" is new to me and I'm not
              > familiar with the 2 groups you mentioned NOLS or AMC either.

              NOLS is the National Outdoor Leadership School (http://www.nols.edu/),
              they offer classes for MANY outdoor skills - from LNT Master to
              Wilderness EMT. It's considered by many as THE high adventure training
              school. BTW, A "LNT Master" is the title of the person who is trained
              to teach LNT instructors.

              The BSA sites for LNT are:

              Principals of LNT - http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-105/
              Cub Scout LNT - http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-032/
              Teaching LNT - http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-117/

              The official Leave No Trace web site is http://www.lnt.org/ .

              Hope this helps.
            • tsbeb@att.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                Michelle,

                NOLS is National Outdoor Leadership School, (http://www.nols.edu/),
                and AMC is the Appalachian Mountain Club.

                Your LNT State Advocate for Pennsylvania is David Chambers he can be reached at pakyak@... for training information. I believe that all LNT State Advocates have been notified by the Northeaast Region BSA.

                The Leave No Trace Trainer course is a 16 hour course with an over night backpack.
                The Leave No Trace Master Educator course is a five day backpack. You have to have CPR and WFA or WFR training.

                A Trainer can do workshops and informational sessons
                A Master Educator can train trainers and whatever trainers do.

                Sort of like WFA and WFR, Wildereness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder.

                The resident trainer at camp requirement is being rolled out in 2005. It is my understanding that they hoped that enough Venturers would take the LNT part of the Outdoor Bronze and Ranger Awards and become LNT Trainers, and then work at summer camp. I guess that it did not happen.

                In L,F,S
                Ted Beblowski
                Used to be a Beaver NE III 141 Venturing
                Powder Horn 2000

              • Robert M. Gross
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 14, 2004
                  I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
                  Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you have
                  any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.

                  Robert M. Gross
                  Committee Chair
                  BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
                  I used to be a Fox...
                  grossrm@...

                • Ida Lively
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
                    Congratulations!

                    First I ask if you're only doing for the Outdoor section. Here we like to
                    have continuity between the 'classroom' and the 'practical.' We like to
                    introduce the SPL at the classroom, so that 1) he's familiar w/ the patrols
                    and 2) the patrols are familiar with him.

                    You'll basically be the "big brother". That being said, you must set the
                    example of the "ultimate" Boy Scout. What those leaders see YOU doing, they
                    will do with their troops.

                    As SPL you are the "leader". You can expect to instruct your patrols /
                    patrol leaders on what they are to be doing. You'll be their "go to" for
                    questions.

                    You'll be working with the Course Director. See if they have a schedule
                    worked out. It's good to know in advance what the schedule will look like,
                    and what you're up against. I'd recommend picking up your own copy of the
                    syllabus (or asking your course director for a copy).

                    The SPL in our training runs the campfire. (By run, I mean "MC"). But,
                    above everything -- you must HAVE FUN. If you enjoy yourself, the patrols
                    will enjoy themselves, too. If you're miserable, you can bet that your
                    patrols will be miserable.

                    Ida Lively
                    - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

                    > Message: 2
                    > Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:32:32 -0500
                    > From: "Robert M. Gross" <grossrm@...>
                    > Subject: Outdoor Skills Training Help
                    >
                    > I've been asked to be SPL for the outdoor part of our Scoutmaster Outdoor
                    > Leadership Skills. Have any of you had any experience with that and do you
                    > have
                    > any recommendations, hints, ideas, etc.
                    >
                    > Robert M. Gross
                    > Committee Chair
                    > BSA Troop 87, Trappe, PA
                    > I used to be a Fox...
                    > grossrm@...

                    > Message: 3
                    > Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:46:53 -0000
                    > From: "V. Chua" <rashni@...>
                    > Subject: Eagle CoH
                    >
                    > Greetings one and all -
                    >
                    > Our troop is going to have an Eagle CoH for 3 scouts and they have asked me
                    > to be the Master of Ceremonies....which leads me to the question. Is there a
                    > format to follow to be an MC? Are there things that should be addressed and
                    > things that should be avoided?
                    >
                    > Any help would be greatly appreciated especially since I have never been an
                    > MC before.
                    >
                    > Thanks and YiS,
                    >
                    > Victor Vergara
                    > T91, Trenton, NJ

                    Ida Lively

                    --

                    Forms Coordinator

                    AccuWeather, Inc.
                    385 Science Park Road
                    State College, PA 16803
                    (814) 237 - 0309 x 7759
                    Fax: (814) 238 - 1339

                    Get the best weather on the web . . . AccuWeather.com.
                  • Robert M. Gross
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 15, 2004
                      Nope - whole thing.

                      Bob Gross