Hornaday Badge

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2004
      Does anyone have experience with one of their youth earning the William T.
      Hornaday Badge?

      My son has set this as one of his goals this year (along with making Eagle).

      Any information would be helpful. I know the requirements (downloaded PDF
      from National website), what I'm searching for is practical experience.

      Ida
      - Juniata Valley Council
    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2004
        My apologies. I posted my question to the wrong scouting group.

        Ida
      • David Gross
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 19, 2004
          > From: Ida Lively <glezen@...>
          >
          > ... I'm looking for practical experience ...

          One of my scouts earned the Hornaday Bronze award.

          The biggest problem was finding someone in council who
          had a clue how to process it.

          Once we convinced the council it actually existed
          <grin>, the next problem was finding a qualified
          conservation advisor. We recruited one of the local
          soil & water guys which worked well.

          The next problem was getting the council guy to
          forward the application to the national council for
          review.

          Everything worked out, but it seemed to take a lot
          longer that it should have. Patience required!

          BTW, you should also look at the Congressional Award
          for youth:

          http://www.congressionalaward.org/congress/netscape/events_ceremonies_bronze.htm

          YiS,

          David

          =====
          David Gross

          SM T-142, UC
          AOL, Eagle/3, OA/B, Silver Beaver
          "I used to be a fox, .." SR-350/SR-479/SR-556/SR-609

          Registered in, but not speaking for, the Greater Alabama Council

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        • Andre Coltrin
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2004
            I am glad you did. I just learned something new