Re: What happened to "Effective Teaching"?

  • Ken.Walker@mscsoftware.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2004
      To all that responded-

      Thanks for the feedback. It's always fun to post a question, and get such a
      variety of insights and opinions. That's why I love these groups. Everyone
      has different background and experiences, and sees things a bit
      differently. It reminds me of the old line about economists--
      Q: Know what you get when you line all the economists in the country
      end-to-end?
      A: They all point in a different direction. <grin>

      Now, after all the "incoming", I guess I'm due for one response.

      First an apology - it seems "Effective Teaching" may have been in the old
      Train the Trainer materials (pre-TDC). I was looking at my retired BSLWB
      syllabus, and noticed a reference to materials from TtT:
      - "The Effective Teaching Process"
      - "Training Period 9 - Effective Teaching"

      It's especially ironic- as I don't remember them at TtT (and there's no
      mention in my course notes). Either I slept through it, or maybe it was a
      "staff thing"??

      Someone mentioned "BSA 5000" (or 500?) -- I'll show my ignorance -- what
      the heck is that? Is it a local council term for something? I also liked
      the point about "learning capacity" and "relearning requirements". That's
      one reason a Scout can tie every TFC knot it November, but struggle with it
      in March. "Relearning" also frequently happens the first time you try teach
      something you think you know. LOL

      Someone mentioned "How Adults Learn" at TDC. Can any old-timers comment -
      is this similar stuff? I'm curious, because apparently some councils are
      adding the old "Effective Teaching" segment to their TDC. So, these two
      facts seem inconsistent. (Sorry, trying to understand, not start a fight).

      It's nice to hear some councils are addressing the "gap". It's OK to take
      an important topic out of one course. But, if it's important, it needs to
      go somewhere else. IMHO - TDC is the most logical place for this topic -
      there's more exposure to more Scouters.

      One member mentioned the TG's "Communication" patrol presentation in the
      new WB21C. I don't have the syllabus, so can't quote chapter and verse (one
      of those new WB rules). However, I've done the presentation, and my
      materials have minimal references to "teaching". About the closest I have
      is the topic "Good Teaching", which includes: a) Goal, b) Have Need, c)
      Multi-sensory, d) Hands-on, e) Practice f) Encourage & Praise. There's also
      "How a Scout Learns", which covers: a) Teaching/learning, b)Tested, c)
      Reviewed (BoR), d) Recognized (CoH). Both are good points, but are not
      covered in the same depth as a single topic.

      Another member observed that we don't evaluate "learning" in a district
      training course. True, there's no skills test, but shouldn't an instructor
      present learning objectives at the beginning, and then review at the end?
      This gives the students a chance to say: "can you go back and explain this
      again".

      It's ironic someone mentioned this subject is still in Jr Leader Training
      and then another member mentions the "teaching module" in the new Nat'l JLT
      course. It sounds like a step in the right direction, especially if we let
      the adults have it too.

      That's enough trouble for one night....thanks again for all the feedback.
      It sounds like lots of folks are thinking about this subject.

      -Ken
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2004
        Ken,
        The "BSA 500" is a 'game' built into Trainer Development Conference
        (TDC).
        Attendees are divided up into teams, each team gets a car for the oval track

        (game board). After different segments there are 'quizes' and depending on
        correctness of answers you get to move your car ahead a certain number of
        spaces.

        Pete M.
        Trainer and Member of Council Training Committee
        Patriots' Path Council, N.J.

        From: Ken.Walker@... [mailto:Ken.Walker@...]
        Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: What happened to "Effective Teaching"?