Effective Teaching

  • Mikedunne@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
      I think the concept is also covered -- and practiced -- in Introduction to
      Outdoor Leader Skills, which is designed to help adults teach Scouts outdoor
      skills. (I wish it had another name so that more leaders would think they need to
      take it),

      The new NLTC for the 21st Century will have a teaching skill module that I
      think is really great and will likely roll back into adult training at some
      point and in some way.
      That syllabus will be piloted again over the summer and ready for rollout
      later.

      There was also some talk of using the gist of the old WB Effective Teaching
      in a supplemental training format. Our council used it at pour University of
      Scouting recently as a session.

      YiS
      Mike Dunne
      Istrouma Area Council, Board Vicechair/Program
      National Junior Leader Training Task Force
      Lots of other stuff

    • Alfred M. Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2004
        > Someone mentioned "How Adults Learn" at TDC. Can any old-timers
        > comment - is this similar stuff? I'm curious, because apparently some
        councils
        > are adding the old "Effective Teaching" segment to their TDC. So,
        these
        > two facts seem inconsistent. (Sorry, trying to understand, not start a

        > fight).

        I teach the "How Adults Learn" Section for my Council's TDC's.
        As a long-time educator, I believe firmly in emphasizing the drawing of
        conclusions and inplications from the information I present, and extend
        the subject to application. Hence, a lot of what was in the old
        "Effective Teaching" comes out, reinforced by the contents of "How Adults
        Learn", which helps explain WHY specific approaches are effective.

        Al

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Ken Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2005
          Marian Mcquaid asked:
          > First: The old Train the Trainer conference had a session called
          > "Effective Teaching". Does anyone have a copy of that? We have a
          > request to teach that one session.

          I don't remember an Effective Teaching session from TtT (don't read
          anything into this comment - it just means I don't remember!) Now, I do
          remember an Effective Teaching session in the old BSLWB (eg pre 21st
          Century). I have some notes at home, and "might could" get my hands on an
          old WB syllabus. Let me know if you're interested in this material.

          > Second:
          > Third:
          > Fourth:

          Hey! That's more than "a couple" of questions. <grin>

          -Ken