How to promote BS Training

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
      Fellow Trainers,

      We are holding our first annual "Boy Scout Trainers Conference", a
      council level program designed to "bring together new and experienced
      (BS) trainers for a day of learning, sharing ideas, and honing each
      other's training skills".

      One of the sessions: "How to Promote Boy Scout Training in your
      District", is in need of some expert advice. It seems this is one area
      everyone has difficulties with and no one feels particularly successful
      at it. We could use your expert advice on how to best promote training
      at the district level. I assure you, your ideas and suggestions will be
      passed onto the poor guy that has to stand up in front of this
      conference and moderate a discussion on this subject...me! :-)

      In particular, what do you do when:
      -- You don't have a Commissioners staff, or at least one doing much
      of a job.
      -- You have a history of poor turnout for what you thought was a
      reasonably well publicized event.
      -- You have leaders in your districts who don't put much stock in
      training, don't participate in district program, don't come to
      Roundtables, and in general don't even let their own unit leaders know
      about training opportunities, let alone encourage them to go.

      What are the less conventional "tricks of the trade" you use that you
      feel are pretty successful in getting your leaders to go to training
      events? What tips would you pass on to a new, unseasoned district
      training chair?? And how do you evaluate what you ARE doing to determine
      if it really works???

      Your advice is valued and much appreciated...and thanks you for your

      Jim
      Council Training Chairman
      Central Florida Council (Orlando)
    • Chris Jacobi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
        How to promote training?

        No approach works for everybody all the time...
        I found that doing it all, doing it enthusiastically,
        doing it over and over and over caused training
        participation to increase a little.

        We are using or trying
        the council newsletter
        the council website
        council calendar
        the district newsletter
        the district website
        the previous training course
        bulletin on front page of council website
        announce at roundtable
        talk to people directly
        tell others to recruit
        use the commissioners
        district email distribution lists
        direct mailings
        awards for participants
        tell trainers to recruit
        offering more courses
        course fliers
        training overview fliers
        checking when issuing tour permits
        nice training patch with rockers
        try conveniant course times

        and of course (but thats cheating):
        Good quality training courses.

        What are we missing?

        Trust me, it needs only one guy telling that training
        was a waste of time to subvert all your efforts to
        recruit for training in that unit for the next few months.

        Chris

        Chris Jacobi
        Stanford District Training Chair
        Pacific Skyline Council, www.pacsky.org