training questions

  • bufflo@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2003
      Hello group:
      I am in need of some ideas on how to promote training so a larger audience is in attendance.

      1. How do you promote job specific training in your district?

      2. How do you convince leaders that they need to attend training?

      3. Do you do anything to jazz up the trainings? Themes, etc....

      4. Do your trainings last longer than the alloted time? Is extra information added?

      5. Is the Introduction to Outdoor Leaderskills offered as a stand alone course or are there other courses that you offer along with it?

      6. Is Intro To Outdoor Leader Skills run as a daylong or weekend course?

      7. Cubscout Job Specific - do you combine all 5 sessions or run them all together as one course.

      8. Are fees charged for NLE or the Job specific courses?

      Thanks. I appreciate your input.

      YIS
      Laura
      Pathfinder District Training Chair
      SWMC
    • Lloyd Solis
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2003
        bufflo@... wrote:

        >Hello group:
        >I am in of some ideas on how to promote training so a larger audience is in attendance.
        >
        >1. How do you promote job specific training in your district?

        Roundtables, Unit Commissioners, telephone calls, e-mails, post cards -
        all to individual leaders, not unit leaders.

        >2. How do you convince leaders that they need to attend training?

        Ask them if they'd like 'just anyone' to teach their kids in school. Try
        to explain the difference in success between dens with trained and
        untrained leaders; pack trained and untrained leaders.

        >3. Do you do anything to jazz up the trainings? Themes, etc....

        Take Trainer Development Conference and learn HOW to teach others. Get
        enthusiastic trainers with pizzazz to present the various courses. Keep
        it lively, make it fun for all.

        >4. Do your trainings last longer than the alloted time? Is extra information added?

        Our District Training Chair is a stickler for staying on time. Sometimes
        you just have to take a bit of extra time to explain program and answer
        questions. When the questions get 'out of hand', delay the answering to
        after the course and answer them 1 on 1.

        >5. Is the Introduction to Outdoor Leaderskills offered as a stand alone course or are there other courses that you offer along with it?

        This course is a full weekend of structured courses. There isn't time to
        include additional training.

        >6. Is Intro To Outdoor Leader Skills run as a daylong or weekend course?
        >

        >Ours is a night two hour meeting a week or more before the weekend course. The initial class explains the course and lists the expectations and equipment / supplies that should be brought to the weekend campout - individually, and by patrols.
        >
        >7. Cubscout Job Specific - do you combine all 5 sessions or run them all together as one course.

        We do these simultaneously and separately. We have combined the video
        segments together to all groups. Afterwards, we break out the respective
        sessions of Tigers, Wolves/Bears, Webelos, Cubmaster, Pack Committee.

        >8. Are fees charged for NLE or the Job specific courses?

        It is our council policy to charge NO FEE for these basic courses. We
        do charge for BALOO $10 and WLOT $25 YiS
        Lloyd

        SELA Council

        >Thanks. I appreciate your input.
        >
        >YIS
        >Laura
        >Pathfinder District Training Chair
        >SWMC

        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

      • David K Higginson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2003
          From: bufflo@...
          >To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

          >Hello group:
          >I am in need of some ideas on how to promote training so a larger audience
          >is in attendance.
          >
          >1. How do you promote job specific training in your district?
          Many ways but the truely effective way is thru personal contact and
          commitment from the unit commissioner. Other examples are mailings
          (expensive), roundtable (slow) and IH (very slow)

          >2. How do you convince leaders that they need to attend training?

          Leaders that are not trained do not accomplish the goals of scouting or the
          unit. I usually just shame them into it. If they want to do a good job,
          most will attend if they can work it into their schedule. If they really
          don't want to be a scout leader and are working in the job for one reason or
          another, it will be difficult to get them there.

          >3. Do you do anything to jazz up the trainings? Themes, etc....

          We have not done this. We try to follow the outline whenever possible.

          >4. Do your trainings last longer than the alloted time? Is extra
          >information added?

          We try to follow the outline and even use a bell ringer for allotted time.

          >5. Is the Introduction to Outdoor Leaderskills offered as a stand alone
          >course or are there other courses that you offer along with it?

          We offer this as a standalone course.

          >6. Is Intro To Outdoor Leader Skills run as a daylong or weekend course?

          That matters what you call a weekend. We start the training on Friday and
          all day Saturday and finish up late Saturday. There are several church
          groups that will not attend if the training goes into Sunday.

          >7. Cubscout Job Specific - do you combine all 5 sessions or run them all
          >together as one course.
          We divide this into separate meetings.

          >8. Are fees charged for NLE or the Job specific courses?
          We charge a flat fee of $5 to cover the patch and the photocopies that are
          needed.
          >Thanks. I appreciate your input.
          >
          >YIS
          >Laura
          >Pathfinder District Training Chair
          >SWMC

          Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year � six months
          @$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2003
            1. How do you promote job specific training in your district?

            Flyers on the Council website, at Roundtables and through the District Info
            line. They are also available at the Council Service Center.

            2. How do you convince leaders that they need to attend training?

            Training has a significant presence in our District and is promoted
            aggressively by everyone - trainers, Commissioners, District Committee
            folks, Roundtable Staffs, Professional Staff - everyone.

            3. Do you do anything to jazz up the trainings? Themes, etc....

            We do not use themes. We promote high quality training and try to make it
            fun. We present what we advertise, do not cancel trainings and enjoy a
            great reputation throughout our Council for the quality of training we
            offer.

            4. Do your trainings last longer than the alloted time? Is extra
            information added?

            We follow the syllabus and almost always end on time. We do sometimes add
            pertinent additional information.

            5. Is the Introduction to Outdoor Leaderskills offered as a stand alone
            course or are there other courses that you offer along with it?

            It is a stand alone course. I do not have a large enough team of quality
            trainers to run multiple courses at the same time.

            6. Is Intro To Outdoor Leader Skills run as a daylong or weekend course?

            It is a weekend course which runs from 8:00 am on Saturday through lunch on
            Sunday.

            7. Cubscout Job Specific - do you combine all 5 sessions or run them all
            together as one course.

            We do a group session to cover all the "common" material and then split into
            the job specific sessions for more in depth information.

            8. Are fees charged for NLE or the Job specific courses?

            Youth Protection, all nine Safety courses, and NLE are free of charge and we
            provide nothing except handouts. Den Chief Conference participants are
            asked to bring a non-perishable food item or two as the price of admission.
            Job Specific and Troop Committee Challenge are $5.00 and includes
            refreshments and trained strips.. BALOO is $10, WLOE is $15 and IOLS is $20
            and we provide handouts, all food and all equipment. All they need bring is
            their personal gear if applicable.

            Judy Yeager
            NT District, HOAC
          • Jeff Wakefield
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 14, 2003
              bufflo@... wrote:

              >Hello group:
              >I am in of some ideas on how to promote training so a larger audience
              is in attendance.

              >1. How do you promote job specific training in your district?

              Roundtable announcements, round table handouts, web site and the CM's.
              At least half of the CM's in the district are on the cub training staff.

              >2. How do you convince leaders that they need to attend training?

              Get the CM's to tell the new leaders in the pack that they need
              training.

              >3. Do you do anything to jazz up the trainings? Themes, etc....

              Throughout the day I wear a variety of costumes. We do run-ons when any
              one starts losing the audience. I tell a joke or funny story between
              major transitions, we do 4 or 5 skits and sing 4 or 5 songs, and play 2
              or three games so the participants have fun, we break things up, and
              they take new ideas home.

              I try to run the training like a pack meeting. I haven't done this as
              well as I would like, but I have an opening, skits, games, songs,
              advancement and a closing that fits the following month's theme. That
              way the CM's have their next meeting mostly planned. I ca also give
              examples during the CM session on how a Pack Meeting should be run.

              >4. Do your trainings last longer than the alloted time? Is extra
              information added?

              NLE stays right on time, at least as close as I can keep it. The LST
              sessions as listed also stay very close to the syllabus time. But we
              have added several sessions, plus 90 minutes of very practical advice.
              NLE runs from 8:15 until 9:45. LST runs from 10:00 until 3:30. If you
              have already attended LST (like for a DL position) you can come for only
              the afternoon and get trained for another position (i.e. CM>)

              >5. Is the Introduction to Outdoor Leaderskills offered as a stand alone
              course or are there other courses that you offer along with it?

              The Council Training Staff has conducted IOLS, OWL & Baloo on the same
              weekend.

              >6. Is Intro To Outdoor Leader Skills run as a daylong or weekend
              course?

              We call ours OWL (Outdoor Webelos Leader Training) and it is run as an
              overnight, Saturday morning at 8:00 until Sunday morning at 11:00.

              If you are talkinh about Scoutmaster Intro to Outdoor Skills, that runs
              from 5:00 Friday until 11:00 Sunday.

              >7. Cubscout Job Specific - do you combine all 5 sessions or run them
              all together as one course.

              The District Training Staff went through the syllabus when it came out
              and we decided to merge some things together. As a group we cover pack
              organization, program planning for the pack, and advancement with all
              five groups there. (CM, CC, TL, DL, WL). We have added an additional
              session that covers Youth Protection Policy and Guidelines (not YPT
              Training) and two-deep leadership, The Guide to Safe Scouting, How to
              get Family involvement in the Pack, and how to handle your own child and
              what his expectations/problems will be when you are a leader.

              Then the Pack Committee folks leave and start their session.

              The CM, TL, DL and WL then get the Uniforming Session and another one we
              developed, "Working with Behavioral Disorders" By the way we ditched
              the uniforming game. People can look in the back of the leader book and
              get that information whenever they need.

              Those sessions bring us to lunch.

              After lunch the CM's and Committee group get together for an hour and we
              discuss how to plan a pack schedule, getting volunteers, fund raising,
              etc. We loosely follow the syllabus here.

              At the same time, the TL, DL, and WL's get together and we talk about
              running a den generically. Planning den meetings, dealing with
              behavior, tips for the new den leader, 101 things every den leader
              should know, working with parents, etc.

              Then for 90 minutes the TL, DL, and Wl's split out and two members of
              the training staff each cover things to do for that rank level, details
              about rank advancement, local resources for trips, and show specific
              projects they have worked on for each rank's achievements and electives.

              The Committee people dive deeper into how to run a meeting, conflicts,
              budgeting, how a committee should be staffed, pack communications,
              recruiting volunteers, etc. with an experienced Committee Chairman or
              two.

              And the CM's meet with two veteran CM's and discuss how to plan pack
              meetings, keeping them fun, telling stories, games, cheers, activities,
              planning trips and over nights, forms, etc.

              >8. Are fees charged for NLE or the Job specific courses?

              We charge $5 each for NLE and LST of you pre-register and $7 at the
              door. Those fees support the patches, certificates and CD's we pass
              out, as well as other supplies. See our patches at
              http://www.narragansettbsa.org <http://www.narragansettbsa.org/> and
              click on leadership training. Last time we have 12 pre-registered and
              35 showed up. We will be increasing the at the door fee next year. OWL
              I $12.

              Jeff Wakefield
              Webelos Den Leader

              Pack 25 Cubmaster

              Thundermist District Cub Leadership Development Chair

              Narragansett Council