BS Trainers Conference

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
      Fellow Trainers,

      It is has been a very good year in our Council for training and I wanted
      to share this with you. We are preparing for a new council level event
      we are trying in an effort to support of the various district training
      teams. We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
      Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
      in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
      tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
      somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
      feedback that might make this event even better.

      On another note, one session in particular - "How to recruit and Develop
      a BS Training Team" - is proving particularly difficult to come up with
      new and effective suggestions. The session moderator is asking for some
      help and I put the questions to the group. Does anyone have suggestions
      that are particularly successful in either the recruitment or the
      development of a BS training team?

      Have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
      Yours in Scouting
      Jim Ball
      Council Training Chairman
      Central Florida Council (Orlando)

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
        The original attachment for this apparently did not go through so here
        is an attempt to paste it in an e-mail. I hope there is enough room...

        Concept for a Boy Scout Trainers Conference
        One of the functions of a Council Training Committee is to "assist
        districts in selecting, recruiting, and training an effective district
        training team" (reference "Leadership Training Committee Guide", BSA
        #34169F). With the focus on Boy Scout trainers, one way to facilitate
        this is to bring together new and experienced trainers for a day of
        learning, sharing ideas, and honing each others training skills. By
        providing a framework that is both structured enough to cover a specific
        set of topics and loose enough to provide opportunities for an exchange
        of ideas between moderators and participants, and participants with each
        other, we create a forum (conference) for the purpose of raising
        everyone's knowledge and training skills. Furthermore, it should be the
        purpose of this conference to promote a vision, not only of the
        importance of training excellence, but of a shared partnership between
        the Council's and District's efforts (and roles) in support of
        training..."for the good of the program".

        Program
        The subject of Boy Scout Training primarily covers three courses: BS
        Leader Specific, Troop Committee Challenge, and Introduction to Outdoor
        Leader Skills (OLS). Obviously, OLS is the longest and most logistically
        challenging of these three courses, however, the conference program
        should fairly balance coverage of all.
        Furthermore, it is not the intent of this conference to duplicate
        content from the Trainers Development Conference, but rather to
        compliment it with the focus on BS trainer's skill development needs. To
        "assist districts in the selecting, recruiting, and training..." is
        about a whole lot more than just going over training course content. It
        is important to consider some more global topics for discussion such as:
        . How to recruit and develop a BS training team
        . How to promote BS training in your district
        . Administrative aspects of BS training
        . Marshalling resources needed for effective training
        These could take the form of short discussion topics or be folded into
        the content of other sessions. Either way, the goal is to present a
        variety of ideas on how to make BS training more available and effective
        in each district.

        Structure
        This conference is about providing a forum for exchanging ideas and
        asking questions as much as it is a series of presentations. Consider a
        structure that offers alternative styles (methods of presentation) to
        create opportunities for both learning and sharing of ideas, even within
        a single session. These styles could take the form of discussions,
        demonstrations, case studies, round robins, brainstorming (on a issue or
        problem), buzz groups, or Q & A sessions. And don't forget the use of
        reflection from time to time when the opportunity presents itself. Any
        of these could be an effective technique for presenting information
        depending on the situation and nature of the material. (Refer to
        Trainers Development Conference syllabus: Session 8)
        The day's activities should be guided by "moderators" (program
        implementers) as opposed to instructors. And they should be well versed
        in the techniques of the Trainers Development Conference referenced
        above, as well as trainers of exceptional skill and knowledgeable about
        the various topics they will moderate. Even though many participants
        will be coming to learn, we want to offer them more than just a "class".
        We want to offer them a total learning experience exemplifying the best
        techniques and skills of a good trainer. It is very important to set a
        good example and high training standards when putting someone before a
        group of trainers. Furthermore, we want those who attend to be active
        participants in the direction and content of the learning, so they all
        get what they want (and more) out of the day's experience.
        Even lunch should be active and hands-on, and an integrated part of
        the learning experience. Consider a short cooking demo in which the
        participants cook their own lunch as both a learning experience and to
        eat. However, careful consideration must be given to time - if it takes
        too long it takes away from the rest of the program. Consider shortcuts
        to reduce time like pre-cutting, pre-cooking, and otherwise preparing to
        reduce prep and cooking time.
        The rest is up to you to develop. Good luck.

      • NeilLup@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
          In a message dated 12/12/03 9:40:33 AM, scoutingislife@... writes:

          > We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
          > Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
          > in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
          > tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
          > somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
          > feedback that might make this event even better.

          Hello Jim,

          I don't blast it around, but currently I sit on the National Boy Scouting
          Committe and the National Boy Scouting Training Task Force. One of my
          assignments is to develop a training for Council and District Training Chairmen
          which likely would be offered at the Area or Regional level. I figure on it
          taking 2-2.5 hours.

          I am most interested in the conference you have developed and would be
          exceedingly interested in hearing the results. Our next meeting is in early
          February, so I would need what is available before then.

          Neil

          Neil Lupton
          Talking Lights LLC
          28 Constitution Road