Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Re: Digest Number 730

  • Mark Landry
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
      While everyone is talking about TroopMaster, you may want to know there
      is a yahoo Group dedicated to TroopMaster products. Sam watches over
      that group, too. If you use Troopmaster products, and you have
      questions, please feel free to join us at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMTUG/ .

      YIS,

      Mark C. Landry
      Council Training Chairman
      Southeast Louisiana Council
      TMTUG Yahoo Group Moderator

      Ken Todd wrote:

      > Chuck,
      >
      > There currently is a Merit Badge Counselor version of TM. The
      > developer is currently working on a District Management version of TM
      > that will include so much more.
      >
      > Yours in Scouting,
      > Ken
      >
      > Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:
      > Stan wrote...
      >
      > > Gee Sam, could you develop a DistrictMaster?
      >
      > I believe there is a District version. I may be thinking about
      > his Merit Badge Counselor list, though.
      >
      > YiS,
      > Chuck Bramlet

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cp6f8rt/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071243222/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
        Fellow Trainers,

        It is has been a very good year in our Council for training and I wanted
        to share this with you. We are preparing for a new council level event
        we are trying in an effort to support of the various district training
        teams. We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
        Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
        in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
        tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
        somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
        feedback that might make this event even better.

        On another note, one session in particular - "How to recruit and Develop
        a BS Training Team" - is proving particularly difficult to come up with
        new and effective suggestions. The session moderator is asking for some
        help and I put the questions to the group. Does anyone have suggestions
        that are particularly successful in either the recruitment or the
        development of a BS training team?

        Have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
        Yours in Scouting
        Jim Ball
        Council Training Chairman
        Central Florida Council (Orlando)

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
          The original attachment for this apparently did not go through so here
          is an attempt to paste it in an e-mail. I hope there is enough room...

          Concept for a Boy Scout Trainers Conference
          One of the functions of a Council Training Committee is to "assist
          districts in selecting, recruiting, and training an effective district
          training team" (reference "Leadership Training Committee Guide", BSA
          #34169F). With the focus on Boy Scout trainers, one way to facilitate
          this is to bring together new and experienced trainers for a day of
          learning, sharing ideas, and honing each others training skills. By
          providing a framework that is both structured enough to cover a specific
          set of topics and loose enough to provide opportunities for an exchange
          of ideas between moderators and participants, and participants with each
          other, we create a forum (conference) for the purpose of raising
          everyone's knowledge and training skills. Furthermore, it should be the
          purpose of this conference to promote a vision, not only of the
          importance of training excellence, but of a shared partnership between
          the Council's and District's efforts (and roles) in support of
          training..."for the good of the program".

          Program
          The subject of Boy Scout Training primarily covers three courses: BS
          Leader Specific, Troop Committee Challenge, and Introduction to Outdoor
          Leader Skills (OLS). Obviously, OLS is the longest and most logistically
          challenging of these three courses, however, the conference program
          should fairly balance coverage of all.
          Furthermore, it is not the intent of this conference to duplicate
          content from the Trainers Development Conference, but rather to
          compliment it with the focus on BS trainer's skill development needs. To
          "assist districts in the selecting, recruiting, and training..." is
          about a whole lot more than just going over training course content. It
          is important to consider some more global topics for discussion such as:
          . How to recruit and develop a BS training team
          . How to promote BS training in your district
          . Administrative aspects of BS training
          . Marshalling resources needed for effective training
          These could take the form of short discussion topics or be folded into
          the content of other sessions. Either way, the goal is to present a
          variety of ideas on how to make BS training more available and effective
          in each district.

          Structure
          This conference is about providing a forum for exchanging ideas and
          asking questions as much as it is a series of presentations. Consider a
          structure that offers alternative styles (methods of presentation) to
          create opportunities for both learning and sharing of ideas, even within
          a single session. These styles could take the form of discussions,
          demonstrations, case studies, round robins, brainstorming (on a issue or
          problem), buzz groups, or Q & A sessions. And don't forget the use of
          reflection from time to time when the opportunity presents itself. Any
          of these could be an effective technique for presenting information
          depending on the situation and nature of the material. (Refer to
          Trainers Development Conference syllabus: Session 8)
          The day's activities should be guided by "moderators" (program
          implementers) as opposed to instructors. And they should be well versed
          in the techniques of the Trainers Development Conference referenced
          above, as well as trainers of exceptional skill and knowledgeable about
          the various topics they will moderate. Even though many participants
          will be coming to learn, we want to offer them more than just a "class".
          We want to offer them a total learning experience exemplifying the best
          techniques and skills of a good trainer. It is very important to set a
          good example and high training standards when putting someone before a
          group of trainers. Furthermore, we want those who attend to be active
          participants in the direction and content of the learning, so they all
          get what they want (and more) out of the day's experience.
          Even lunch should be active and hands-on, and an integrated part of
          the learning experience. Consider a short cooking demo in which the
          participants cook their own lunch as both a learning experience and to
          eat. However, careful consideration must be given to time - if it takes
          too long it takes away from the rest of the program. Consider shortcuts
          to reduce time like pre-cutting, pre-cooking, and otherwise preparing to
          reduce prep and cooking time.
          The rest is up to you to develop. Good luck.

        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
            In a message dated 12/12/03 9:40:33 AM, scoutingislife@... writes:

            > We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
            > Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
            > in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
            > tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
            > somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
            > feedback that might make this event even better.

            Hello Jim,

            I don't blast it around, but currently I sit on the National Boy Scouting
            Committe and the National Boy Scouting Training Task Force. One of my
            assignments is to develop a training for Council and District Training Chairmen
            which likely would be offered at the Area or Regional level. I figure on it
            taking 2-2.5 hours.

            I am most interested in the conference you have developed and would be
            exceedingly interested in hearing the results. Our next meeting is in early
            February, so I would need what is available before then.

            Neil

            Neil Lupton
            Talking Lights LLC
            28 Constitution Road