Re: Re: Digest Number 730

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
      Chuck,

      There currently is a Merit Badge Counselor version of TM. The developer is currently working on a District Management version of TM that will include so much more.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken

      Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:
      Stan wrote...

      > Gee Sam, could you develop a DistrictMaster?

      I believe there is a District version. I may be thinking about
      his Merit Badge Counselor list, though.

      YiS,
      Chuck Bramlet

    • Mark Landry
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
        While everyone is talking about TroopMaster, you may want to know there
        is a yahoo Group dedicated to TroopMaster products. Sam watches over
        that group, too. If you use Troopmaster products, and you have
        questions, please feel free to join us at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMTUG/ .

        YIS,

        Mark C. Landry
        Council Training Chairman
        Southeast Louisiana Council
        TMTUG Yahoo Group Moderator

        Ken Todd wrote:

        > Chuck,
        >
        > There currently is a Merit Badge Counselor version of TM. The
        > developer is currently working on a District Management version of TM
        > that will include so much more.
        >
        > Yours in Scouting,
        > Ken
        >
        > Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:
        > Stan wrote...
        >
        > > Gee Sam, could you develop a DistrictMaster?
        >
        > I believe there is a District version. I may be thinking about
        > his Merit Badge Counselor list, though.
        >
        > YiS,
        > Chuck Bramlet

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cp6f8rt/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071243222/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
          Fellow Trainers,

          It is has been a very good year in our Council for training and I wanted
          to share this with you. We are preparing for a new council level event
          we are trying in an effort to support of the various district training
          teams. We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
          Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
          in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
          tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
          somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
          feedback that might make this event even better.

          On another note, one session in particular - "How to recruit and Develop
          a BS Training Team" - is proving particularly difficult to come up with
          new and effective suggestions. The session moderator is asking for some
          help and I put the questions to the group. Does anyone have suggestions
          that are particularly successful in either the recruitment or the
          development of a BS training team?

          Have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
          Yours in Scouting
          Jim Ball
          Council Training Chairman
          Central Florida Council (Orlando)

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
            The original attachment for this apparently did not go through so here
            is an attempt to paste it in an e-mail. I hope there is enough room...

            Concept for a Boy Scout Trainers Conference
            One of the functions of a Council Training Committee is to "assist
            districts in selecting, recruiting, and training an effective district
            training team" (reference "Leadership Training Committee Guide", BSA
            #34169F). With the focus on Boy Scout trainers, one way to facilitate
            this is to bring together new and experienced trainers for a day of
            learning, sharing ideas, and honing each others training skills. By
            providing a framework that is both structured enough to cover a specific
            set of topics and loose enough to provide opportunities for an exchange
            of ideas between moderators and participants, and participants with each
            other, we create a forum (conference) for the purpose of raising
            everyone's knowledge and training skills. Furthermore, it should be the
            purpose of this conference to promote a vision, not only of the
            importance of training excellence, but of a shared partnership between
            the Council's and District's efforts (and roles) in support of
            training..."for the good of the program".

            Program
            The subject of Boy Scout Training primarily covers three courses: BS
            Leader Specific, Troop Committee Challenge, and Introduction to Outdoor
            Leader Skills (OLS). Obviously, OLS is the longest and most logistically
            challenging of these three courses, however, the conference program
            should fairly balance coverage of all.
            Furthermore, it is not the intent of this conference to duplicate
            content from the Trainers Development Conference, but rather to
            compliment it with the focus on BS trainer's skill development needs. To
            "assist districts in the selecting, recruiting, and training..." is
            about a whole lot more than just going over training course content. It
            is important to consider some more global topics for discussion such as:
            . How to recruit and develop a BS training team
            . How to promote BS training in your district
            . Administrative aspects of BS training
            . Marshalling resources needed for effective training
            These could take the form of short discussion topics or be folded into
            the content of other sessions. Either way, the goal is to present a
            variety of ideas on how to make BS training more available and effective
            in each district.

            Structure
            This conference is about providing a forum for exchanging ideas and
            asking questions as much as it is a series of presentations. Consider a
            structure that offers alternative styles (methods of presentation) to
            create opportunities for both learning and sharing of ideas, even within
            a single session. These styles could take the form of discussions,
            demonstrations, case studies, round robins, brainstorming (on a issue or
            problem), buzz groups, or Q & A sessions. And don't forget the use of
            reflection from time to time when the opportunity presents itself. Any
            of these could be an effective technique for presenting information
            depending on the situation and nature of the material. (Refer to
            Trainers Development Conference syllabus: Session 8)
            The day's activities should be guided by "moderators" (program
            implementers) as opposed to instructors. And they should be well versed
            in the techniques of the Trainers Development Conference referenced
            above, as well as trainers of exceptional skill and knowledgeable about
            the various topics they will moderate. Even though many participants
            will be coming to learn, we want to offer them more than just a "class".
            We want to offer them a total learning experience exemplifying the best
            techniques and skills of a good trainer. It is very important to set a
            good example and high training standards when putting someone before a
            group of trainers. Furthermore, we want those who attend to be active
            participants in the direction and content of the learning, so they all
            get what they want (and more) out of the day's experience.
            Even lunch should be active and hands-on, and an integrated part of
            the learning experience. Consider a short cooking demo in which the
            participants cook their own lunch as both a learning experience and to
            eat. However, careful consideration must be given to time - if it takes
            too long it takes away from the rest of the program. Consider shortcuts
            to reduce time like pre-cutting, pre-cooking, and otherwise preparing to
            reduce prep and cooking time.
            The rest is up to you to develop. Good luck.

          • NeilLup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
              In a message dated 12/12/03 9:40:33 AM, scoutingislife@... writes:

              > We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
              > Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
              > in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
              > tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
              > somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
              > feedback that might make this event even better.

              Hello Jim,

              I don't blast it around, but currently I sit on the National Boy Scouting
              Committe and the National Boy Scouting Training Task Force. One of my
              assignments is to develop a training for Council and District Training Chairmen
              which likely would be offered at the Area or Regional level. I figure on it
              taking 2-2.5 hours.

              I am most interested in the conference you have developed and would be
              exceedingly interested in hearing the results. Our next meeting is in early
              February, so I would need what is available before then.

              Neil

              Neil Lupton
              Talking Lights LLC
              28 Constitution Road