Re: [Scouter_T] Boy Scout Advancement tracker/Scoutmate

  • John D. Halter
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10 7:18 AM
      >The $75.00 can never be the issue.

      Unfortunately, at this point the $75 is somewhat of a sticking point
      when comparing PM/TM & Scoutmate. To equip the pack & troop with PM/TM is
      $150 vs $65 for SM. Our troop recently moved to our current CO and has
      never had much success with fundraising. With the addition of a new pack,
      the CO's focus as well as potential financial support is now split. They
      are looking for the cheapest option, which would be freeware or a
      spreadsheet of some sort or a cheap software package.
      I have never seen the TM side, but have used and been happy with PM.
      After reading the comparison between SM & PM/TM, SM looks like a better deal
      as well as having options that are impressive. I was looking for any who is
      currently using the Scoutmate software to get their feelings about it. I am
      familiar with the layout of PM, so using another program will be more
      difficult due to having to learn something new. Someone who has always used
      SM or has used it for a long time would have a different view.

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      Cubmaster
      Pack 230 Apopka Florida
      www.pack230.com
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      Troop 936 Longwood Florida
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 11 3:44 AM
        Why not work with your council and see if they will fund PM/TM for
        all units? It sure cuts down on the temp wages or overtime and speeds
        rechartering immensely. As I have said in previous posts, our council
        bit the bullet a couple of years ago and have seen a payoff of their
        investment in these two areas. Ask your CE to talk with our CE, Al
        Lambert, at Daniel Webster Council.

        Dave

        John D. Halter wrote:

        > >The $75.00 can never be the issue.
        >
        > Unfortunately, at this point the $75 is somewhat of a sticking point
        > when comparing PM/TM & Scoutmate. To equip the pack & troop with PM/TM is
        > $150 vs $65 for SM. Our troop recently moved to our current CO and has
        > never had much success with fundraising. With the addition of a new pack,
        > the CO's focus as well as potential financial support is now split. They
        > are looking for the cheapest option, which would be freeware or a
        > spreadsheet of some sort or a cheap software package.
        > I have never seen the TM side, but have used and been happy with PM.
        > After reading the comparison between SM & PM/TM, SM looks like a better deal
        > as well as having options that are impressive. I was looking for any who is
        > currently using the Scoutmate software to get their feelings about it. I am
        > familiar with the layout of PM, so using another program will be more
        > difficult due to having to learn something new. Someone who has always used
        > SM or has used it for a long time would have a different view.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > John Halter
        > Cubmaster
        > Pack 230 Apopka Florida
        > www.pack230.com
        > Assistant Scoutmaster
        > Troop 936 Longwood Florida
        > Wekiwa District Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ce18d18/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071226654/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116730>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
      • Troop1270
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11 2:44 PM
          John

          Back to me again. How much is your time worth ?
          I brought TroopMaster out of my own pocket.
          Try to look at this from the other direction.
          How much is it going to cost you to learn ScoutMate or write everything out
          by hand.
          Re-chartering with TM takes about 4 minutes, assuming your records are
          up-to-date.
          You might have to waste a couple of hours if they are not.
          I did a dry run last month to make sure that I had all the info.
          This was my first re-charter and it took longer to get the DE to sign the
          papers than it did to print them out from TM. It took me longer to write the
          check.
          Not to re-mention all the other points that have been made about how useful
          TM is during the year.
          I've started by using ScoutMate and ended up with TM. Enough said.
          Take a collection and ask everyone for two bucks.

          Pete Kenny, SM, Troop 1270