Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 730

  • Stan Haines
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
      As a long time "lurker" to this group, I think I'll chime in.

      I could not agree with Mark more. I have never met Sam Edwards (TSI),
      but I have nothing but accolades for his company. He responds to
      volunteer's request almost immediately. He is a Scouter; as I
      understand it, he wrote PackMaster when he was a Cubmaster.

      Not taking away from the other products, but I push all of TSI's
      products in my District (since the Council can't afford to buy them for
      every unit).

      Gee Sam, could you develop a DistrictMaster?

      YIS,

      Stan Haines
      I used to be an Eagle!

      On Dec 10, 2003, at 08:42, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > I'm going to wade in here with an unpaid political announcement.
      > Ken always get on me when I do this, but here goes.
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2003
        Stan wrote...

        > Gee Sam, could you develop a DistrictMaster?

        I believe there is a District version. I may be thinking about
        his Merit Badge Counselor list, though.

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • Ken Todd
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
          Chuck,

          There currently is a Merit Badge Counselor version of TM. The developer is currently working on a District Management version of TM that will include so much more.

          Yours in Scouting,
          Ken

          Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:
          Stan wrote...

          > Gee Sam, could you develop a DistrictMaster?

          I believe there is a District version. I may be thinking about
          his Merit Badge Counselor list, though.

          YiS,
          Chuck Bramlet

        • Mark Landry
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
            While everyone is talking about TroopMaster, you may want to know there
            is a yahoo Group dedicated to TroopMaster products. Sam watches over
            that group, too. If you use Troopmaster products, and you have
            questions, please feel free to join us at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMTUG/ .

            YIS,

            Mark C. Landry
            Council Training Chairman
            Southeast Louisiana Council
            TMTUG Yahoo Group Moderator

            Ken Todd wrote:

            > Chuck,
            >
            > There currently is a Merit Badge Counselor version of TM. The
            > developer is currently working on a District Management version of TM
            > that will include so much more.
            >
            > Yours in Scouting,
            > Ken
            >
            > Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:
            > Stan wrote...
            >
            > > Gee Sam, could you develop a DistrictMaster?
            >
            > I believe there is a District version. I may be thinking about
            > his Merit Badge Counselor list, though.
            >
            > YiS,
            > Chuck Bramlet

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cp6f8rt/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071243222/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
              Fellow Trainers,

              It is has been a very good year in our Council for training and I wanted
              to share this with you. We are preparing for a new council level event
              we are trying in an effort to support of the various district training
              teams. We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
              Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
              in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
              tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
              somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
              feedback that might make this event even better.

              On another note, one session in particular - "How to recruit and Develop
              a BS Training Team" - is proving particularly difficult to come up with
              new and effective suggestions. The session moderator is asking for some
              help and I put the questions to the group. Does anyone have suggestions
              that are particularly successful in either the recruitment or the
              development of a BS training team?

              Have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
              Yours in Scouting
              Jim Ball
              Council Training Chairman
              Central Florida Council (Orlando)

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
                The original attachment for this apparently did not go through so here
                is an attempt to paste it in an e-mail. I hope there is enough room...

                Concept for a Boy Scout Trainers Conference
                One of the functions of a Council Training Committee is to "assist
                districts in selecting, recruiting, and training an effective district
                training team" (reference "Leadership Training Committee Guide", BSA
                #34169F). With the focus on Boy Scout trainers, one way to facilitate
                this is to bring together new and experienced trainers for a day of
                learning, sharing ideas, and honing each others training skills. By
                providing a framework that is both structured enough to cover a specific
                set of topics and loose enough to provide opportunities for an exchange
                of ideas between moderators and participants, and participants with each
                other, we create a forum (conference) for the purpose of raising
                everyone's knowledge and training skills. Furthermore, it should be the
                purpose of this conference to promote a vision, not only of the
                importance of training excellence, but of a shared partnership between
                the Council's and District's efforts (and roles) in support of
                training..."for the good of the program".

                Program
                The subject of Boy Scout Training primarily covers three courses: BS
                Leader Specific, Troop Committee Challenge, and Introduction to Outdoor
                Leader Skills (OLS). Obviously, OLS is the longest and most logistically
                challenging of these three courses, however, the conference program
                should fairly balance coverage of all.
                Furthermore, it is not the intent of this conference to duplicate
                content from the Trainers Development Conference, but rather to
                compliment it with the focus on BS trainer's skill development needs. To
                "assist districts in the selecting, recruiting, and training..." is
                about a whole lot more than just going over training course content. It
                is important to consider some more global topics for discussion such as:
                . How to recruit and develop a BS training team
                . How to promote BS training in your district
                . Administrative aspects of BS training
                . Marshalling resources needed for effective training
                These could take the form of short discussion topics or be folded into
                the content of other sessions. Either way, the goal is to present a
                variety of ideas on how to make BS training more available and effective
                in each district.

                Structure
                This conference is about providing a forum for exchanging ideas and
                asking questions as much as it is a series of presentations. Consider a
                structure that offers alternative styles (methods of presentation) to
                create opportunities for both learning and sharing of ideas, even within
                a single session. These styles could take the form of discussions,
                demonstrations, case studies, round robins, brainstorming (on a issue or
                problem), buzz groups, or Q & A sessions. And don't forget the use of
                reflection from time to time when the opportunity presents itself. Any
                of these could be an effective technique for presenting information
                depending on the situation and nature of the material. (Refer to
                Trainers Development Conference syllabus: Session 8)
                The day's activities should be guided by "moderators" (program
                implementers) as opposed to instructors. And they should be well versed
                in the techniques of the Trainers Development Conference referenced
                above, as well as trainers of exceptional skill and knowledgeable about
                the various topics they will moderate. Even though many participants
                will be coming to learn, we want to offer them more than just a "class".
                We want to offer them a total learning experience exemplifying the best
                techniques and skills of a good trainer. It is very important to set a
                good example and high training standards when putting someone before a
                group of trainers. Furthermore, we want those who attend to be active
                participants in the direction and content of the learning, so they all
                get what they want (and more) out of the day's experience.
                Even lunch should be active and hands-on, and an integrated part of
                the learning experience. Consider a short cooking demo in which the
                participants cook their own lunch as both a learning experience and to
                eat. However, careful consideration must be given to time - if it takes
                too long it takes away from the rest of the program. Consider shortcuts
                to reduce time like pre-cutting, pre-cooking, and otherwise preparing to
                reduce prep and cooking time.
                The rest is up to you to develop. Good luck.

              • NeilLup@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
                  In a message dated 12/12/03 9:40:33 AM, scoutingislife@... writes:

                  > We have put together a one day program we are calling the "Boy
                  > Scout Trainers Conference" (concept report attached) set to take place
                  > in late January. I'm sharing this with you to ask if anyone else has
                  > tried something like this in their your council. This event is modeled
                  > somewhat after the annual Commissioners conference, and I'm looking for
                  > feedback that might make this event even better.

                  Hello Jim,

                  I don't blast it around, but currently I sit on the National Boy Scouting
                  Committe and the National Boy Scouting Training Task Force. One of my
                  assignments is to develop a training for Council and District Training Chairmen
                  which likely would be offered at the Area or Regional level. I figure on it
                  taking 2-2.5 hours.

                  I am most interested in the conference you have developed and would be
                  exceedingly interested in hearing the results. Our next meeting is in early
                  February, so I would need what is available before then.

                  Neil

                  Neil Lupton
                  Talking Lights LLC
                  28 Constitution Road