RE: [Scouter_T] Boy Scout Advancement tracker/Scoutmate

  • Troop1270
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2003
      Ken/Mark, I shall second that.

      The $75.00 can never be the issue. How much is your time worth ?
      At $8.00/min it only take less than ten minutes to pay for it.
      Even if you don't use Troopmaster you SHOULD be using some type of computer
      software to help with all this "paperwork".
      Ok I'll get back to reserving Summer camp spots now.

      Pete Kenny, SM, Troop 1270.
      Oh by the way, I have 35 years of computer experience.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2003
        >The $75.00 can never be the issue.

        Unfortunately, at this point the $75 is somewhat of a sticking point
        when comparing PM/TM & Scoutmate. To equip the pack & troop with PM/TM is
        $150 vs $65 for SM. Our troop recently moved to our current CO and has
        never had much success with fundraising. With the addition of a new pack,
        the CO's focus as well as potential financial support is now split. They
        are looking for the cheapest option, which would be freeware or a
        spreadsheet of some sort or a cheap software package.
        I have never seen the TM side, but have used and been happy with PM.
        After reading the comparison between SM & PM/TM, SM looks like a better deal
        as well as having options that are impressive. I was looking for any who is
        currently using the Scoutmate software to get their feelings about it. I am
        familiar with the layout of PM, so using another program will be more
        difficult due to having to learn something new. Someone who has always used
        SM or has used it for a long time would have a different view.

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        Cubmaster
        Pack 230 Apopka Florida
        www.pack230.com
        Assistant Scoutmaster
        Troop 936 Longwood Florida
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2003
          Why not work with your council and see if they will fund PM/TM for
          all units? It sure cuts down on the temp wages or overtime and speeds
          rechartering immensely. As I have said in previous posts, our council
          bit the bullet a couple of years ago and have seen a payoff of their
          investment in these two areas. Ask your CE to talk with our CE, Al
          Lambert, at Daniel Webster Council.

          Dave

          John D. Halter wrote:

          > >The $75.00 can never be the issue.
          >
          > Unfortunately, at this point the $75 is somewhat of a sticking point
          > when comparing PM/TM & Scoutmate. To equip the pack & troop with PM/TM is
          > $150 vs $65 for SM. Our troop recently moved to our current CO and has
          > never had much success with fundraising. With the addition of a new pack,
          > the CO's focus as well as potential financial support is now split. They
          > are looking for the cheapest option, which would be freeware or a
          > spreadsheet of some sort or a cheap software package.
          > I have never seen the TM side, but have used and been happy with PM.
          > After reading the comparison between SM & PM/TM, SM looks like a better deal
          > as well as having options that are impressive. I was looking for any who is
          > currently using the Scoutmate software to get their feelings about it. I am
          > familiar with the layout of PM, so using another program will be more
          > difficult due to having to learn something new. Someone who has always used
          > SM or has used it for a long time would have a different view.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > John Halter
          > Cubmaster
          > Pack 230 Apopka Florida
          > www.pack230.com
          > Assistant Scoutmaster
          > Troop 936 Longwood Florida
          > Wekiwa District Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ce18d18/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071226654/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116730>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • Troop1270
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2003
            John

            Back to me again. How much is your time worth ?
            I brought TroopMaster out of my own pocket.
            Try to look at this from the other direction.
            How much is it going to cost you to learn ScoutMate or write everything out
            by hand.
            Re-chartering with TM takes about 4 minutes, assuming your records are
            up-to-date.
            You might have to waste a couple of hours if they are not.
            I did a dry run last month to make sure that I had all the info.
            This was my first re-charter and it took longer to get the DE to sign the
            papers than it did to print them out from TM. It took me longer to write the
            check.
            Not to re-mention all the other points that have been made about how useful
            TM is during the year.
            I've started by using ScoutMate and ended up with TM. Enough said.
            Take a collection and ask everyone for two bucks.

            Pete Kenny, SM, Troop 1270