Re: [Scouter_T] Boy Scout Advancement tracker/Scoutmate

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2003
      You could make your own spreadsheet for tracking BS advancement if
      you have a copy of Excel on your computer. This one shouldn't require
      any complicated formulas of formatting.

      As to troop management programs, I prefer TroopMaster, if only
      because our council has provided each troop and pack with a legal copy
      of the applicable software to track averything and speed up
      rechartering. We figured that by using the automatic updating
      features of Pack/TroopMaster we could save enough by not having to
      hire temps to key in all the changes to our charters, to pay for the
      cost of the licenses in about five years. We were wrong, it was only
      two years. Now we do all of our charter renewals in December, and
      still have time to think.

      We did provide initial training at our annual program kickoff meeting
      in April, were each unti that cared to attend got a couple of hours
      training on the software, copies of the software, and introduction to
      all the program heads and their programs. We charged about $3.50 fot
      the day, provided lunck and lots of other freebies and it went like a
      bomb.

      Dave

      John D. Halter wrote:
      > The CO for my troop has asked me to try to find a spreadsheet for
      > tracking boy scout advancement similar to the ones available for the cubs.
      > Does anyone have knowledge of such a creature? Our troop is new to this CO
      > and has recently started up a pack. They are looking for advancement
      > tracking options that don't cost money for right now.
      > On a side note, my pack has been using PackMaster for years. During a
      > search for boy scout tracking options, I came across Scoutmate. I have
      > heard of it before but never really paid it any attention since we already
      > had PM. I was comparing the options/features on their website and was
      > pretty impressed. I have downloaded their eval version to test it for use
      > with my pack and possibly the troop and their pack. I was wondering if
      > there is anyone that has used both PM & Scoutmate, and if so, which did you
      > prefer? If you are using SM, have you had any problems or complaints about
      > anything?
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > John Halter

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Mark Landry
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2003
        I'm going to wade in here with an unpaid political announcement.
        Ken always get on me when I do this, but here goes.

        It would be quite difficult to go wrong with TroopMaster. Our troop
        has been using the software since 1990, and I have been using it, on a
        daily basis, for almost 3 years. It does so much, including
        advancement, participation, awards and training, OA participation and
        eligibility, etc., etc., etc. It is the only commercially available
        software, of any type or kind, that I have found delivers what it says
        it will, and more. I was even asked to make a presentation on the
        software for our district roundtable.

        I don't know Sam Edwards, the software designer, personally, but I
        have never had a problem or concern that he has not answered. He is
        highly knowledgeable on Boy Scouting, and knows the advancement rules
        inside and out. Which means the software knows the advancement rules
        inside and out. The advancement reports alone are worth their weight in
        gold. From my computer, I can E-mail any scout his up to the minute
        advancement status (what he needs for his next rank) as well as his past
        history. Spend the $75.00, and you will not regret it. Go to
        http://www.troopmaster.com/ .

        There is also a Yahoo group for TroopMaster product users,
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMTUG . While it is unofficial, Sam reads
        the messages, and posts replies to the more difficult questions.
        Generally, though other scouters get you the answers to any questions
        you may have quite quickly. I addition to being a moderator for this
        group, I am also a moderator for the TroopMaster users group. You are
        welcome to join, to see what the posts say.

        YIS,

        Mark C. Landry
        Advancement Chairman
        Troop 230
        Moderator
        TMTUG Yahoo Group

        Brant Lippincott wrote:

        > --- "John D. Halter" <john@...> wrote:
        > >>The CO for my troop has asked me to try to find a
        > >>spreadsheet for tracking boy scout advancement
        > >>similar to the ones available for the cubs.
        > >>my pack has been using PackMaster for years.
        >
        > I'm not familiar with Scoutmate. Our pack used
        > PackMaster & I liked it. Our troop uses Troopmaster -
        > brought to you by the same folks. It's not cheep
        > ($75), but our advancement chair likes it a lot.
        >
        > I'm sure there are some spreadsheets out there - just
        > not sure where to look...
        >
        > For the Boys,
        > Brant
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > click here
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ctkovde/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071095962/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116730>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Troop1270
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2003
          Ken/Mark, I shall second that.

          The $75.00 can never be the issue. How much is your time worth ?
          At $8.00/min it only take less than ten minutes to pay for it.
          Even if you don't use Troopmaster you SHOULD be using some type of computer
          software to help with all this "paperwork".
          Ok I'll get back to reserving Summer camp spots now.

          Pete Kenny, SM, Troop 1270.
          Oh by the way, I have 35 years of computer experience.

          Brant Lippincott wrote:

          > --- "John D. Halter" <john@...> wrote:
          > >>The CO for my troop has asked me to try to find a
          > >>spreadsheet for tracking boy scout advancement
          > >>similar to the ones available for the cubs.
          > >>my pack has been using PackMaster for years.
          >
          > I'm not familiar with Scoutmate. Our pack used
          > PackMaster & I liked it. Our troop uses Troopmaster -
          > brought to you by the same folks. It's not cheep
          > ($75), but our advancement chair likes it a lot.
          >
          > I'm sure there are some spreadsheets out there - just
          > not sure where to look...
          >
          > For the Boys,
          > Brant
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > click here

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ctkovde/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup
          web/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1071095962/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def
          ault?mqso=60178356&partid=4116730>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • Meyers, E. Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 10, 2003
            John,

            I used WinScribe for a couple years before purchasing a commercial
            program.
            I was fairly pleased with its capabilities.
            It is available as freeware from www.meritbadge.com.

            Steve Meyers
          • John D. Halter
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 10, 2003
              >The $75.00 can never be the issue.

              Unfortunately, at this point the $75 is somewhat of a sticking point
              when comparing PM/TM & Scoutmate. To equip the pack & troop with PM/TM is
              $150 vs $65 for SM. Our troop recently moved to our current CO and has
              never had much success with fundraising. With the addition of a new pack,
              the CO's focus as well as potential financial support is now split. They
              are looking for the cheapest option, which would be freeware or a
              spreadsheet of some sort or a cheap software package.
              I have never seen the TM side, but have used and been happy with PM.
              After reading the comparison between SM & PM/TM, SM looks like a better deal
              as well as having options that are impressive. I was looking for any who is
              currently using the Scoutmate software to get their feelings about it. I am
              familiar with the layout of PM, so using another program will be more
              difficult due to having to learn something new. Someone who has always used
              SM or has used it for a long time would have a different view.

              Thank you,

              John Halter
              Cubmaster
              Pack 230 Apopka Florida
              www.pack230.com
              Assistant Scoutmaster
              Troop 936 Longwood Florida
              ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 2003
                Why not work with your council and see if they will fund PM/TM for
                all units? It sure cuts down on the temp wages or overtime and speeds
                rechartering immensely. As I have said in previous posts, our council
                bit the bullet a couple of years ago and have seen a payoff of their
                investment in these two areas. Ask your CE to talk with our CE, Al
                Lambert, at Daniel Webster Council.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2003
                  John

                  Back to me again. How much is your time worth ?
                  I brought TroopMaster out of my own pocket.
                  Try to look at this from the other direction.
                  How much is it going to cost you to learn ScoutMate or write everything out
                  by hand.
                  Re-chartering with TM takes about 4 minutes, assuming your records are
                  up-to-date.
                  You might have to waste a couple of hours if they are not.
                  I did a dry run last month to make sure that I had all the info.
                  This was my first re-charter and it took longer to get the DE to sign the
                  papers than it did to print them out from TM. It took me longer to write the
                  check.
                  Not to re-mention all the other points that have been made about how useful
                  TM is during the year.
                  I've started by using ScoutMate and ended up with TM. Enough said.
                  Take a collection and ask everyone for two bucks.

                  Pete Kenny, SM, Troop 1270