Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Fast Start

  • Chris Jacobi
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
      John (and everybody else...)

      > Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
      > ;- )

      I am absolutely sure you are not intending any harm.
      However I feel bad having a joke on this topic. I feel such
      joking masks the actual contents of the message.

      I know I am a curmudgeon. But I think the topic is both
      important, and, very relevant in the context of delivering
      training to its audience. I can imagine that many people
      disagree with the contents of my opinion, but I hope you
      agree with the importance of the issue.

      Technical arguments

      1) When testing the display of web pages, the operating
      system does not play a major role. If you don't test
      everything, at least try different browsers.

      2) The actual difference is most likely not whether you
      choose Netscape or IE explorer. It is much more relevant
      whether you choose a standard complying browser or a browser
      with undocumented company private restrictions and extensions.
      (Not that Netscape is any better in this regard)

      3) I don't know exact numbers but probably 90% of all
      corporate users do use IE. But we shouldn't forget
      that scout related contents is mostly viewed in people's
      home. Furthermore, a large fraction of our users are youth,
      which may have computer usage patterns different from
      corporate America.

      Ethical arguments

      4) As council webmaster, the scout law is an important
      factor on how I do my job. I can not justify to myself
      forcing my users to use a product of a company who
      has been found guilty of miss-using its de-facto monopoly
      with that particular product.

      Chris

      Chris Jacobi
      District training chair