Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Fast Start

  • John D. Halter
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
      Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
      ;- )

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      Cubmaster
      Pack 230 Apopka Florida
      www.pack230.com
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      Troop 936 Longwood Florida
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
        John (and everybody else...)

        > Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
        > ;- )

        I am absolutely sure you are not intending any harm.
        However I feel bad having a joke on this topic. I feel such
        joking masks the actual contents of the message.

        I know I am a curmudgeon. But I think the topic is both
        important, and, very relevant in the context of delivering
        training to its audience. I can imagine that many people
        disagree with the contents of my opinion, but I hope you
        agree with the importance of the issue.

        Technical arguments

        1) When testing the display of web pages, the operating
        system does not play a major role. If you don't test
        everything, at least try different browsers.

        2) The actual difference is most likely not whether you
        choose Netscape or IE explorer. It is much more relevant
        whether you choose a standard complying browser or a browser
        with undocumented company private restrictions and extensions.
        (Not that Netscape is any better in this regard)

        3) I don't know exact numbers but probably 90% of all
        corporate users do use IE. But we shouldn't forget
        that scout related contents is mostly viewed in people's
        home. Furthermore, a large fraction of our users are youth,
        which may have computer usage patterns different from
        corporate America.

        Ethical arguments

        4) As council webmaster, the scout law is an important
        factor on how I do my job. I can not justify to myself
        forcing my users to use a product of a company who
        has been found guilty of miss-using its de-facto monopoly
        with that particular product.

        Chris

        Chris Jacobi
        District training chair