RE: [Scouter_T] Cub Fast Start

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
      Kris wrote: I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and
      found that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
      that then has a link that does not work. <snip>

      Kris,

      It works on Windoze in IE, but not in any other web browser (Netscape,
      Mozilla, Opera). On my Mac, it works in IE and Netscape, but in Netscape the
      video window is undersized at only about 10% of the whole video image, and
      can't be resized. It doesn't work at all from my SPARC running Solaris 9 and
      Netscape, and is really bad in lynx <VBGrin>. I imagine that it's no good
      from Linux either, but my Linux partition is part of a Wintel box that I'm
      currently using for work stuff...

      YiS,
      Sean
    • John D. Halter
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
        Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
        ;- )

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        Cubmaster
        Pack 230 Apopka Florida
        www.pack230.com
        Assistant Scoutmaster
        Troop 936 Longwood Florida
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
        > It works on Windoze in IE, but not in any other web browser (Netscape,
        > Mozilla, Opera). On my Mac, it works in IE and Netscape, but in Netscape
        the
        > video window is undersized at only about 10% of the whole video image, and
        > can't be resized. It doesn't work at all from my SPARC running Solaris 9
        and
        > Netscape, and is really bad in lynx <VBGrin>. I imagine that it's no good
        > from Linux either, but my Linux partition is part of a Wintel box that I'm
        > currently using for work stuff...
      • Chris Jacobi
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
          John (and everybody else...)

          > Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
          > ;- )

          I am absolutely sure you are not intending any harm.
          However I feel bad having a joke on this topic. I feel such
          joking masks the actual contents of the message.

          I know I am a curmudgeon. But I think the topic is both
          important, and, very relevant in the context of delivering
          training to its audience. I can imagine that many people
          disagree with the contents of my opinion, but I hope you
          agree with the importance of the issue.

          Technical arguments

          1) When testing the display of web pages, the operating
          system does not play a major role. If you don't test
          everything, at least try different browsers.

          2) The actual difference is most likely not whether you
          choose Netscape or IE explorer. It is much more relevant
          whether you choose a standard complying browser or a browser
          with undocumented company private restrictions and extensions.
          (Not that Netscape is any better in this regard)

          3) I don't know exact numbers but probably 90% of all
          corporate users do use IE. But we shouldn't forget
          that scout related contents is mostly viewed in people's
          home. Furthermore, a large fraction of our users are youth,
          which may have computer usage patterns different from
          corporate America.

          Ethical arguments

          4) As council webmaster, the scout law is an important
          factor on how I do my job. I can not justify to myself
          forcing my users to use a product of a company who
          has been found guilty of miss-using its de-facto monopoly
          with that particular product.

          Chris

          Chris Jacobi
          District training chair