Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Fast Start

  • Lloyd Solis
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
      When I try to access Fast Start using Netscape 7.0 as my browser - it
      will not work.
      It works fine with Internet Explorer however and I do not have the
      latest version.
      Lloyd

      Kris Swank wrote:

      >I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and found
      >that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
      >that then has a link that does not work. Have any of you all run into
      >this? Is there something I am missing? I feel really bad that I have
      >sent folks to take the fast start and the liniks don't work.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >YIS,
      >Kris Swank
      >OT District Training Chair
      >Council Webmaster
      >East Texas Area Council
      >I used to be a Beaver...and a good old staffer, too!

      >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

    • Hank Voegtle
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
        Kris,

        I encountered the same problem on youth protection. On a Windows system it
        would not work with Netscape in any version, would work with IE from
        version 5.0 up.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Hank Voegtle--Eagle Scout-Class of '68
        I used to be a Fox (SR-Y2K-X2) and a good old staffer too!
        Cubmaster, Pack 890, Dallas, Texas

        At 06:03 PM 12/2/2003 -0600, Kris Swank wrote:
        >I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and found
        >that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
        >that then has a link that does not work. Have any of you all run into
        >this? Is there something I am missing? I feel really bad that I have
        >sent folks to take the fast start and the liniks don't work.
      • Sean Scott
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
          Kris wrote: I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and
          found that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
          that then has a link that does not work. <snip>

          Kris,

          It works on Windoze in IE, but not in any other web browser (Netscape,
          Mozilla, Opera). On my Mac, it works in IE and Netscape, but in Netscape the
          video window is undersized at only about 10% of the whole video image, and
          can't be resized. It doesn't work at all from my SPARC running Solaris 9 and
          Netscape, and is really bad in lynx <VBGrin>. I imagine that it's no good
          from Linux either, but my Linux partition is part of a Wintel box that I'm
          currently using for work stuff...

          YiS,
          Sean
        • John D. Halter
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
            Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
            ;- )

            Thank you,

            John Halter
            Cubmaster
            Pack 230 Apopka Florida
            www.pack230.com
            Assistant Scoutmaster
            Troop 936 Longwood Florida
            ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
            > It works on Windoze in IE, but not in any other web browser (Netscape,
            > Mozilla, Opera). On my Mac, it works in IE and Netscape, but in Netscape
            the
            > video window is undersized at only about 10% of the whole video image, and
            > can't be resized. It doesn't work at all from my SPARC running Solaris 9
            and
            > Netscape, and is really bad in lynx <VBGrin>. I imagine that it's no good
            > from Linux either, but my Linux partition is part of a Wintel box that I'm
            > currently using for work stuff...
          • Chris Jacobi
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
              John (and everybody else...)

              > Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
              > ;- )

              I am absolutely sure you are not intending any harm.
              However I feel bad having a joke on this topic. I feel such
              joking masks the actual contents of the message.

              I know I am a curmudgeon. But I think the topic is both
              important, and, very relevant in the context of delivering
              training to its audience. I can imagine that many people
              disagree with the contents of my opinion, but I hope you
              agree with the importance of the issue.

              Technical arguments

              1) When testing the display of web pages, the operating
              system does not play a major role. If you don't test
              everything, at least try different browsers.

              2) The actual difference is most likely not whether you
              choose Netscape or IE explorer. It is much more relevant
              whether you choose a standard complying browser or a browser
              with undocumented company private restrictions and extensions.
              (Not that Netscape is any better in this regard)

              3) I don't know exact numbers but probably 90% of all
              corporate users do use IE. But we shouldn't forget
              that scout related contents is mostly viewed in people's
              home. Furthermore, a large fraction of our users are youth,
              which may have computer usage patterns different from
              corporate America.

              Ethical arguments

              4) As council webmaster, the scout law is an important
              factor on how I do my job. I can not justify to myself
              forcing my users to use a product of a company who
              has been found guilty of miss-using its de-facto monopoly
              with that particular product.

              Chris

              Chris Jacobi
              District training chair