Cub Fast Start

  • Kris Swank
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
      I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and found
      that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
      that then has a link that does not work. Have any of you all run into
      this? Is there something I am missing? I feel really bad that I have
      sent folks to take the fast start and the liniks don't work.

      Thanks,
      YIS,
      Kris Swank
      OT District Training Chair
      Council Webmaster
      East Texas Area Council
      I used to be a Beaver...and a good old staffer, too!
    • Lloyd Solis
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
        When I try to access Fast Start using Netscape 7.0 as my browser - it
        will not work.
        It works fine with Internet Explorer however and I do not have the
        latest version.
        Lloyd

        Kris Swank wrote:

        >I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and found
        >that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
        >that then has a link that does not work. Have any of you all run into
        >this? Is there something I am missing? I feel really bad that I have
        >sent folks to take the fast start and the liniks don't work.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >YIS,
        >Kris Swank
        >OT District Training Chair
        >Council Webmaster
        >East Texas Area Council
        >I used to be a Beaver...and a good old staffer, too!

        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

      • Hank Voegtle
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
          Kris,

          I encountered the same problem on youth protection. On a Windows system it
          would not work with Netscape in any version, would work with IE from
          version 5.0 up.

          Yours in Scouting,

          Hank Voegtle--Eagle Scout-Class of '68
          I used to be a Fox (SR-Y2K-X2) and a good old staffer too!
          Cubmaster, Pack 890, Dallas, Texas

          At 06:03 PM 12/2/2003 -0600, Kris Swank wrote:
          >I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and found
          >that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
          >that then has a link that does not work. Have any of you all run into
          >this? Is there something I am missing? I feel really bad that I have
          >sent folks to take the fast start and the liniks don't work.
        • Sean Scott
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
            Kris wrote: I was testing links on my Council's website Training page and
            found that the link to the interactive fast start at National goes to a page
            that then has a link that does not work. <snip>

            Kris,

            It works on Windoze in IE, but not in any other web browser (Netscape,
            Mozilla, Opera). On my Mac, it works in IE and Netscape, but in Netscape the
            video window is undersized at only about 10% of the whole video image, and
            can't be resized. It doesn't work at all from my SPARC running Solaris 9 and
            Netscape, and is really bad in lynx <VBGrin>. I imagine that it's no good
            from Linux either, but my Linux partition is part of a Wintel box that I'm
            currently using for work stuff...

            YiS,
            Sean
          • John D. Halter
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
              Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
              ;- )

              Thank you,

              John Halter
              Cubmaster
              Pack 230 Apopka Florida
              www.pack230.com
              Assistant Scoutmaster
              Troop 936 Longwood Florida
              ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
              > It works on Windoze in IE, but not in any other web browser (Netscape,
              > Mozilla, Opera). On my Mac, it works in IE and Netscape, but in Netscape
              the
              > video window is undersized at only about 10% of the whole video image, and
              > can't be resized. It doesn't work at all from my SPARC running Solaris 9
              and
              > Netscape, and is really bad in lynx <VBGrin>. I imagine that it's no good
              > from Linux either, but my Linux partition is part of a Wintel box that I'm
              > currently using for work stuff...
            • Chris Jacobi
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
                John (and everybody else...)

                > Sean, have you tested it in OS/2 Warp & BEOs yet?
                > ;- )

                I am absolutely sure you are not intending any harm.
                However I feel bad having a joke on this topic. I feel such
                joking masks the actual contents of the message.

                I know I am a curmudgeon. But I think the topic is both
                important, and, very relevant in the context of delivering
                training to its audience. I can imagine that many people
                disagree with the contents of my opinion, but I hope you
                agree with the importance of the issue.

                Technical arguments

                1) When testing the display of web pages, the operating
                system does not play a major role. If you don't test
                everything, at least try different browsers.

                2) The actual difference is most likely not whether you
                choose Netscape or IE explorer. It is much more relevant
                whether you choose a standard complying browser or a browser
                with undocumented company private restrictions and extensions.
                (Not that Netscape is any better in this regard)

                3) I don't know exact numbers but probably 90% of all
                corporate users do use IE. But we shouldn't forget
                that scout related contents is mostly viewed in people's
                home. Furthermore, a large fraction of our users are youth,
                which may have computer usage patterns different from
                corporate America.

                Ethical arguments

                4) As council webmaster, the scout law is an important
                factor on how I do my job. I can not justify to myself
                forcing my users to use a product of a company who
                has been found guilty of miss-using its de-facto monopoly
                with that particular product.

                Chris

                Chris Jacobi
                District training chair