Re: [Scouter_T] Self-Study Training

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 18, 2003
      From what I read in the Training Guide, the Learner and "instructor" are supposed to
      meet and decide what portions of the literature, etc. will be used/required to
      complete the course. This sounds to me like they must sit down and devide what
      publications must be studied, and which specific objectives must be
      satisfied/questions must be answered in order to be considered to have completed each
      learning area.

      Were I running an endeavor like this for either Cub or Boy Scout Leader Training,
      I'd have the learner study the Cub Leader's Handbook or Scoutmaster's Handbook and
      Troop Committee Guidebook, A Wolf/Bear/WEBELOS book or Handbook for Boys, Fieldbook,
      and Merit Badge Counselor Orientation. From these books I'd devise a list of
      questions on the roles of various pack or troop people in running a good program, the
      roles of Commissioners and Execs, some of the tenderfoot and second class learning
      objectives, etc.. These would be grouped in subject areas so the learner would
      complete one logical grouping of tasks/objectives before moving on to another. One
      topic might be, Where to get Help in your community, district, and council. I'd
      expect the learner to include civic leaders, libraries, various religious
      organizations, Commissioners, Execs, Training Teams, Council folk, Round Table, OA
      other scouters, and other Training opportunities; and which s/he might use for
      various probems.

      I'd do this on my own as I have been instructing from canned and self developed
      lesson plans for over 35 years in the AF and Scouting, and have rat holed a lot of
      suplimentary sources. Others might prefer a previously published set of objectives,
      although most all of the learning objectives for each course are included throughout
      each course, so all you have to do is assign reading and discussion to brign out
      these points and you are half way home.

      Dave

      Sean Scott wrote:
      > is a self-study guide that is required. You can't just say, "Hey, I'm
      > a-gonna self study <insert your training here> and be done with it." You
      > need the self-study guide (not the syllabus). The summer before last at
      > Philmont we were told that the self-study guide for NLE was being developed.
      > Of course, we were also told that the new Cub Scout boy books would be out
      > that winter...
      >
      > There was a self-study guide for the old Cub Leader Basic Training. However,
      > I don't believe that there has ever been a self-study guide for anything
      > beyond the most basic training. So in answer to the folks wondering about
      > self-study Wood Badge, Philmont, or even Scoutmaster Position Specific, I
      > doubt it is or ever will be available. Check the BSA Library of Literature.
      >
      > YiS,
      > Sean

      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 13, 2003
        I checked out your web site. What a fantastic idea. Now if we could
        invent something that runs on spam.

        Dave

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349