RE: [Scouter_T] NLE

  • John D. Halter
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 14, 2003
      -----Original Message-----

      > suppose you have someone that has been an ASM & SM for 6 years and is
      fully trained,... even though he was fully
      > trained for all that time, now he needs to attend NLE and Troop Committee
      Challenge to continue being trained.

      Technically, if he is fully trained, he does not need to go through
      NLE for his new position, only training for that position. While I think we
      all agree that if it's been 6 years, new position or not, training would
      probably be usefull, he shouldn't have to start from scratch.

      > Not that taking NLE isn't a good idea and not that it takes very long but
      I believe that isn't required for a
      > leader who who previously was fully trained.

      > A six year ASM certainly knows what is covered in NLE.
      Not necessarily. A fully trained ASM might now what is covered in
      NLE, however the NLE training in its present form has not been around that
      long. Rules & requirements change over the years. Just because someone has
      been through training 5-6 years ago doesn't mean that they (and the youth)
      would not benefit from that leader attending a refresher course. Also, just
      because someone has held a position for several years does not mean that
      they are necessarily doing the job correctly or that they should be exempt
      from training. I'm sure there are leaders out there who may have never
      attended training and are doing a good job. However, I personally feel that
      they would be capable of doing an even better job if they were properly
      trained.

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      Cubmaster
      Pack 230 Apopka Florida
      www.pack230.com
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      Troop 936 Longwood Florida
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 13, 2003
        I checked out your web site. What a fantastic idea. Now if we could
        invent something that runs on spam.

        Dave

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349