Re: [Scouter_T] NLE

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 14, 2003
      In a message dated 11/14/03 9:58:07 PM, krrambo@... writes:

      > Neil
      > while this is true, encouraging experienced leaders to attend is always a
      > good thing, but suppose you have someone that has been an ASM & SM for 6 years
      > and is fully trained, his kid gets Eagle and he moves to the committee or
      > even committee chair. even though he was fully trained for all that time, now he
      > needs to attend NLE and Troop Committee Challenge to continue being trained.
      >
      > Rick Rambo

      Hello Rick,

      With respect, I don't believe this is accurate. The new Committee member
      needs to take the Troop Committee Challenge but not NLE. Not that taking
      NLE isn't a good idea and not that it takes very long but I believe that isn't
      required for a leader who who previously was fully trained.

      As with all BSA training, a leader can be certified as trained by personal
      coaching and by self study as well as by attending a class. A six year ASM
      certainly knows what is covered in NLE. While I would encourage attendance
      ( or staffing) NLE, I would consider a person "trained" in the circumstance
      you mention when they attended only the Troop Committee Challenge.

      As an example, we had a new ASM in our council who had been on the staff of
      the Sommers Canoe Base for 3 years. Would you make him attend IOLS to be
      considered fully trained?

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • Dave Loomis
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 13, 2003
        I checked out your web site. What a fantastic idea. Now if we could
        invent something that runs on spam.

        Dave

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349