Re: [Scouter_T] Re: NLE online

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30 7:27 PM
      Ida wrote...

      > We 'assume' that once they've completed TDC and assisted with courses, they
      > can probably teach any segment, as long as they're familiar with the
      > material (i.e. as long as they read the syllabus to understand what they're
      > teaching.)

      Remeber the old saying about "If you reallywant to learn some-
      thing, teach it to someone else." ;)

      YiS,

      Chuck
    • Ken Walker
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
        Jamie Dunn replied:
        > Ken Walker writes:
        > >
        > > Doesn't that seem like it's asking a lot for a Pack Trainer?
        >
        > Not really - there are subtle differences between each of these
        > sessions.

        My point exactly....learning the "subtle differences" doesn't require
        an additional three hour commitment.

        > Yes, the basic content is very similar - the "slant" you present
        > for your audience varies depending on who you're teaching.

        Agreed.

        > Unless you've experienced these various nuances, you
        > may not be able to communicate them as a trainer.

        I would hope a trainer is familiar with these nuances for her/his
        session. That's why I don't do the Cub Scout Den Leader session....I
        could, but don't have any front line experience like I do for CM,
        WDL, and committee.

        > The pack trainers (all three or four of us) with whom I've
        > worked in my district haven't had any problem with this
        > requirement.

        Maybe that's why there are only 3 or 4 Pack Trainers in your
        district. It's my understanding that EVERY pack is supposed to have a
        Trainer. This position "replaced" the Den Leader Coach. It's a pack
        resource and not intended to be a district training resource.

        Like all things in a Scouting group....it's just my 0.02 worth, and
        your mileage will definitely vary.

        YiS-
        Ken
      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
          In a message dated 10/1/2003 1:50:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Ken.Walker@... writes:

          > I would hope a trainer is familiar with these nuances for her/his
          > session. That's why I don't do the Cub Scout Den Leader session....I
          > could, but don't have any front line experience like I do
          > for CM,
          > WDL, and committee.

          Which is why its important for a pack trainer to attend all of them. S/he is going to be training "outside their comfort zone." They _will_ be training for positions they have never filled. The candidate for a pack trainer is "an experienced leader" - someone with 2-3 years, perhaps, as a den leader. They haven't had the luxury (as I have) of being around for 14 years, and "done it all". They need to understand what goes into being a committee member, versus what they may have done as a den leader.

          >Maybe that's why there are only 3 or 4 Pack Trainers in your
          >district. It's my understanding that EVERY pack is supposed to have a
          >Trainer. This position "replaced" the Den Leader Coach. It's a pack
          >resource and not intended to be a district training resource.

          Yeah, and every pack was "supposed" to have a Den Leader Coach AND a Webelos Den Leader Coach! Our district had one in 45 packs. Increasing to four packs with Pack Trainers is a step up! Face it, we're a luxury. You fill the den leaders, Cubmaster, committee chair jobs and breathe a sigh of relief. I doubt that will change. I agree totally, that Pack Trainers are resources for their pack - some of those with whom I've worked have also asked to train on the district level. Others prefer not to. I'm cool with that - we have lots of good trainers, and don't rely on the Pack Trainers to fill the district level jobs.

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          Pack Trainer
          P. 512