Off Topic: Fwd: New Google feature that you don't want!

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2003
      I hate to muck up the lists with off topic postings, but this
      one concerns something I view as a real threat. I tried this
      this afternoon, and it worked just like I was told it would.

      If you're the least bit concerned about the proliferation of
      personal info about you, then take a look.

      Also, you might want to try your email userneme.... ;(
      If it
      isn't here, you probably didn't do it.

      I honestly don't know what they're thinking...

      From: Chuck
      Date: 2003/09/12 Fri PM 07:59:09 EDT
      Subject: New Google feature that you don't want!

      Google has "done it" to us, folks!

      This is definately a security concern.

      Go to the main Google search page, and type your phone number
      in the search bar. You will at least get your name and address
      as it appears in the phone book. I have heard of people getting
      a lot more than that -- like web pages, past newsgroup postings,
      and the like.

      If you don't want this available, and I sure as heck don't, then
      click on the telephone icon and follow the direction to remove
      your name from their displayed database.

      YiS,

      Chuck
    • KAREN & RICK RAMBO
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2003
        Well, I went and looked and what I found was innocent. the first thing is your telephone listing that your phone company already lists on the internet, just like in the phone book. if you do not want it listed, pay the extra for a non published number. My address does not show up because when we got our telephone listing we told the phone company to only list our names with no address.

        The two web pages that came up listing my phone number were the contact pages from my council's wood badge site.

        short story is that nothing should be there that you have not allowed to be on the net in some form or other!

        Rick Rambo

        From: Chuck
        Date: 2003/09/12 Fri PM 07:59:09 EDT

        Google has "done it" to us, folks!

        This is definately a security concern.

        Go to the main Google search page, and type your phone number
        in the search bar. You will at least get your name and address
        as it appears in the phone book. I have heard of people getting
        a lot more than that -- like web pages, past newsgroup postings,
        and the like.

        If you don't want this available, and I sure as heck don't, then
        click on the telephone icon and follow the direction to remove
        your name from their displayed database.

        YiS,

        Chuck

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Ken Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2003
          Rick, all-
          This is much ado about nothing....a tempest in a teapot.

          Google has simply "linked" together something you have access to on
          paper for years.
          1) Got a phone number? GO to the library and you can look the
          assoicated name (and address) up in a "reverse phone directory".
          These have been around for years.
          2) Have the address? Get out any decent city map and you can find the
          location.

          Google isn't doing anything sneaky or underhanded (or violating your
          privacy, or a risk to your security). Now, I will admit, with the
          miracle of technology (relational databases and the web), its A LOT
          easier for the common man to find and connect all this information.

          -Ken