Re: Basic training coverage of commissioner's role

  • Fred Goodwin, CMA
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
      Rick, that's a great idea!

      I teach NLE and the CM & Committee breakouts for Cub Leader
      position-specific training. The syllabi for all three include a brief
      mention of the Commissioner Corps as a resource, in particular as a
      link to District & Council resources, and (for the CM & Webelos leader
      breakouts) as a means to facilitate contacts between Troops & Packs for
      bridging ceremonies / Webelos transition, and for den chiefs.

      I know Commissioners play a much larger role, and if you could provide
      us an outline, I'd be happy to incorporate it. But understand the
      syllabus is very tight, and deviations from the "canned" material are
      actually discouraged.

      Fred Goodwin
      Alamo Area Council
      Keystone District Training Team

      > Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:27:06 -0700
      > From: "Rick Cordray" <rickc@...>
      >
      > I'm about to start a review of New Leader Essentials, Cub Scout Basic
      > Leader training, Troop Committee Challenge, etc. to determine to what

      > extent the role of commissioners is introduced and explained at each
      > level. My recollection is that new leaders get little or no
      > introduction in the current training to the role of commissioners and

      > the assistance leaders can get from commissioners.
      >
      > Has anyone else done this, and perhaps developed supplemental
      > training materials to fill the gap?
    • Rick Cordray
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
        Fred,

        I understand. So phase two of this project is to draft new
        supplemental material for the training, submit it to national, and
        get it incorporated as part of the syllabus. Meanwhile, I'm doing
        some selling of the idea to the council training chair to pilot such
        changes locally.

        As this project proceeds, I'll share the results with this group.
        Any contributions or suggestions are appreciated.

        Rick Cordray
        Council Commissioner
        Chief Seattle Council, BSA

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Goodwin, CMA"
        <fgoodwin@s...> wrote:
        >... But understand the syllabus is very tight, and deviations from
        >the "canned" material are actually discouraged.

        > Fred Goodwin
        > Alamo Area Council
        > Keystone District Training Team
      • Bill Nelson
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
          One way to get the Commissioner message across is to have
          commissioners teach New Leader Essentials and ask them to introduce
          themselves and what they do before they talk about their section of
          the course.

          Bill
        • Chris Jacobi
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
            What is the purpose to explain the role of the commissioner to
            new leaders? If their unit has a commissioner, telling a new leader
            what he does is best left to the commissioner as this gives her/him
            something to talk with the new leader.

            I think it is worth about 2 seconds in the new leader essentials,
            basically so that the new leaders have heard the word. And of
            course, if they have questions I would answer those questions.

            Best, I think would be to have commissioners on staff, but besides
            of being extremely useful to commissioner and learners, this isn't
            in the job description of a commissioner.

            Chris

            Chris Jacobi
            jacobi@...
            District Training Chair, Stanford District PSC, Unit Commissioner, etc.
            http://www.pacsky.org/training/training.html
          • Ken Todd
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
              Rick,

              I have found that there is little in the basic training materials about
              the role of the Commissioner.

              What I have done is ask a member of the Commissioner Corps present the
              "Where do I get help?" segment of New Leader Essentials and introduce
              their role as guide to the units. My District Commissioner has been
              very supportive.

              Yours in Scouting,
              Ken
              --- "Rick Cordray" <rickc@...> wrote:
              I'm about to start a review of New Leader Essentials, Cub Scout Basic
              Leader training, Troop Committee Challenge, etc. to determine to what
              extent the role of commissioners is introduced and explained at each
              level...
              Thanks,
              Rick Cordray

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Jeff Wakefield
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
                What I have done is ask a member of the Commissioner Corps present the
                "Where do I get help?" segment of New Leader Essentials and introduce
                their role as guide to the units. My District Commissioner has been
                very supportive.

                This is also what we do in Thundermist District, Narragansett Council.
                Our District Commissioner does this presentation. The good news in
                Thundermist District is that our Commissioner Corps is improving.

                Jeff Wakefield
                Thundermist District Cub Scout Leadership Development Chair
                Narragansett Council