Re: Basic training coverage of commissioner's role

  • David Gross
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
      "Rick Cordray" <rickc@...> wrote:

      >> to determine to what extent the role of
      >> commissioners is introduced and explained at each
      >> level. My recollection is that new leaders get
      >> little or no introduction in the current training
      >> to the role of commissioners and the assistance
      >> leaders can get from commissioners.

      I agree with your recollection.

      NLE has an introduction to commissioners, in "Where do
      I fit in?" (I think).

      None of the other basic training courses really
      address it, as far as I know.

      Before the last revision of the training material, I
      used to distribute an "org chart" tracing National
      Council to the Unit, and back up to the Chartered Org.
      Commissioners were shown as the liason from scouting
      to the unit. I don't anymore, since this is in NLE.

      I would like to see your result. It would be nice to
      have a one pager on commissioners.

      Of course, the other problem is our commissioner
      service here is so weak, that almost any promise we
      make on service is likely to be violated.

      YiS,

      David

      =====
      David Gross
      SA-TG SR-556

      SM T-142, UC
      AOL, Eagle/3, OA/B, SB
      "I used to be a fox, .."

      Registered in, but not speaking for, the Greater Alabama Council

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Fred Goodwin, CMA
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
        Rick, that's a great idea!

        I teach NLE and the CM & Committee breakouts for Cub Leader
        position-specific training. The syllabi for all three include a brief
        mention of the Commissioner Corps as a resource, in particular as a
        link to District & Council resources, and (for the CM & Webelos leader
        breakouts) as a means to facilitate contacts between Troops & Packs for
        bridging ceremonies / Webelos transition, and for den chiefs.

        I know Commissioners play a much larger role, and if you could provide
        us an outline, I'd be happy to incorporate it. But understand the
        syllabus is very tight, and deviations from the "canned" material are
        actually discouraged.

        Fred Goodwin
        Alamo Area Council
        Keystone District Training Team

        > Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:27:06 -0700
        > From: "Rick Cordray" <rickc@...>
        >
        > I'm about to start a review of New Leader Essentials, Cub Scout Basic
        > Leader training, Troop Committee Challenge, etc. to determine to what

        > extent the role of commissioners is introduced and explained at each
        > level. My recollection is that new leaders get little or no
        > introduction in the current training to the role of commissioners and

        > the assistance leaders can get from commissioners.
        >
        > Has anyone else done this, and perhaps developed supplemental
        > training materials to fill the gap?
      • Rick Cordray
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
          Fred,

          I understand. So phase two of this project is to draft new
          supplemental material for the training, submit it to national, and
          get it incorporated as part of the syllabus. Meanwhile, I'm doing
          some selling of the idea to the council training chair to pilot such
          changes locally.

          As this project proceeds, I'll share the results with this group.
          Any contributions or suggestions are appreciated.

          Rick Cordray
          Council Commissioner
          Chief Seattle Council, BSA

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Goodwin, CMA"
          <fgoodwin@s...> wrote:
          >... But understand the syllabus is very tight, and deviations from
          >the "canned" material are actually discouraged.

          > Fred Goodwin
          > Alamo Area Council
          > Keystone District Training Team
        • Bill Nelson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
            One way to get the Commissioner message across is to have
            commissioners teach New Leader Essentials and ask them to introduce
            themselves and what they do before they talk about their section of
            the course.

            Bill
          • Chris Jacobi
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
              What is the purpose to explain the role of the commissioner to
              new leaders? If their unit has a commissioner, telling a new leader
              what he does is best left to the commissioner as this gives her/him
              something to talk with the new leader.

              I think it is worth about 2 seconds in the new leader essentials,
              basically so that the new leaders have heard the word. And of
              course, if they have questions I would answer those questions.

              Best, I think would be to have commissioners on staff, but besides
              of being extremely useful to commissioner and learners, this isn't
              in the job description of a commissioner.

              Chris

              Chris Jacobi
              jacobi@...
              District Training Chair, Stanford District PSC, Unit Commissioner, etc.
              http://www.pacsky.org/training/training.html
            • Ken Todd
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
                Rick,

                I have found that there is little in the basic training materials about
                the role of the Commissioner.

                What I have done is ask a member of the Commissioner Corps present the
                "Where do I get help?" segment of New Leader Essentials and introduce
                their role as guide to the units. My District Commissioner has been
                very supportive.

                Yours in Scouting,
                Ken
                --- "Rick Cordray" <rickc@...> wrote:
                I'm about to start a review of New Leader Essentials, Cub Scout Basic
                Leader training, Troop Committee Challenge, etc. to determine to what
                extent the role of commissioners is introduced and explained at each
                level...
                Thanks,
                Rick Cordray

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Jeff Wakefield
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
                  What I have done is ask a member of the Commissioner Corps present the
                  "Where do I get help?" segment of New Leader Essentials and introduce
                  their role as guide to the units. My District Commissioner has been
                  very supportive.

                  This is also what we do in Thundermist District, Narragansett Council.
                  Our District Commissioner does this presentation. The good news in
                  Thundermist District is that our Commissioner Corps is improving.

                  Jeff Wakefield
                  Thundermist District Cub Scout Leadership Development Chair
                  Narragansett Council