A Great Wood Badge Course!

  • strider0306
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
      I just discovered this forum and wanted to crow just a bit!
      I take credit only for selecting the staff and then letting them do
      their thing.

      Wood Badge Course NE II 138 just finished this past Monday.
      We witnessed a wonderful transformation of a group of assorted
      individuals who morphed into small high performing teams (Dens and
      Patrols) and then into an even larger one (a Troop).

      They say that the Course Director's job is to pick the staff and then
      put his or her feet up. Well, this staff was magical! I won't even
      claim credit for the final composition of the staff since a number of
      folks dropped out along the way. That was a bummer. But their
      replacements worked out better than the originals. That was great!

      If you have not taken Wood Badge, look for a course in your area.
      Believe me - it works - for Cubbers, Boy Scout Leaders, Venturing
      Leaders and District/Council folks - we had them all. It has minor
      bumps - as all first time revisions are ought to have - but overall
      its the greatest training a Scout Leader can take.

      "Back to Gilwell",
      Gregg Dick, Course Director, NE II 138
    • cubtrainer2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2003
        strider0306 wrote: "They say that the Course Director's job is to
        pick the staff and then put his or her feet up."

        That is not the way we do it in my council. The course director is
        the leader just like any other training course, and most of the time
        the course director is the hardest working person there. How do
        people in other councils do this?

        Bob L.
      • Del Rockwell
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2003
          I just finished taking the C-35-03 course here in Michigan. Our Scoutmaster
          was involved in most of the activities, but did not lead many of them. He
          was instructor at one or two of the sessions, but again, not many. In fact,
          the rest of the staff bought him a folding rocking chair to use during the
          course. I'm sure he had worked hard behind the scenes, but the staff, and
          especially the Senior Patrol Leader seemed to do most of the work and
          presiding over meetings. As it should be in my thought process.

          Del