Basic training coverage of commissioner's role

  • Rick Cordray
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
      I'm about to start a review of New Leader Essentials, Cub Scout Basic Leader
      training, Troop Committee Challenge, etc. to determine to what extent the
      role of commissioners is introduced and explained at each level. My
      recollection is that new leaders get little or no introduction in the
      current training to the role of commissioners and the assistance leaders can
      get from commissioners.

      Has anyone else done this, and perhaps developed supplemental training
      materials to fill the gap?

      Thanks,

      Rick Cordray
      Council Commissioner
      Chief Seattle Council, BSA
    • David Gross
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
        "Rick Cordray" <rickc@...> wrote:

        >> to determine to what extent the role of
        >> commissioners is introduced and explained at each
        >> level. My recollection is that new leaders get
        >> little or no introduction in the current training
        >> to the role of commissioners and the assistance
        >> leaders can get from commissioners.

        I agree with your recollection.

        NLE has an introduction to commissioners, in "Where do
        I fit in?" (I think).

        None of the other basic training courses really
        address it, as far as I know.

        Before the last revision of the training material, I
        used to distribute an "org chart" tracing National
        Council to the Unit, and back up to the Chartered Org.
        Commissioners were shown as the liason from scouting
        to the unit. I don't anymore, since this is in NLE.

        I would like to see your result. It would be nice to
        have a one pager on commissioners.

        Of course, the other problem is our commissioner
        service here is so weak, that almost any promise we
        make on service is likely to be violated.

        YiS,

        David

        =====
        David Gross
        SA-TG SR-556

        SM T-142, UC
        AOL, Eagle/3, OA/B, SB
        "I used to be a fox, .."

        Registered in, but not speaking for, the Greater Alabama Council

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Fred Goodwin, CMA
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
          Rick, that's a great idea!

          I teach NLE and the CM & Committee breakouts for Cub Leader
          position-specific training. The syllabi for all three include a brief
          mention of the Commissioner Corps as a resource, in particular as a
          link to District & Council resources, and (for the CM & Webelos leader
          breakouts) as a means to facilitate contacts between Troops & Packs for
          bridging ceremonies / Webelos transition, and for den chiefs.

          I know Commissioners play a much larger role, and if you could provide
          us an outline, I'd be happy to incorporate it. But understand the
          syllabus is very tight, and deviations from the "canned" material are
          actually discouraged.

          Fred Goodwin
          Alamo Area Council
          Keystone District Training Team

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
            Fred,

            I understand. So phase two of this project is to draft new
            supplemental material for the training, submit it to national, and
            get it incorporated as part of the syllabus. Meanwhile, I'm doing
            some selling of the idea to the council training chair to pilot such
            changes locally.

            As this project proceeds, I'll share the results with this group.
            Any contributions or suggestions are appreciated.

            Rick Cordray
            Council Commissioner
            Chief Seattle Council, BSA

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Goodwin, CMA"
            <fgoodwin@s...> wrote:
            >... But understand the syllabus is very tight, and deviations from
            >the "canned" material are actually discouraged.

            > Fred Goodwin
            > Alamo Area Council
            > Keystone District Training Team
          • Bill Nelson
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
              One way to get the Commissioner message across is to have
              commissioners teach New Leader Essentials and ask them to introduce
              themselves and what they do before they talk about their section of
              the course.

              Bill
            • Chris Jacobi
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
                What is the purpose to explain the role of the commissioner to
                new leaders? If their unit has a commissioner, telling a new leader
                what he does is best left to the commissioner as this gives her/him
                something to talk with the new leader.

                I think it is worth about 2 seconds in the new leader essentials,
                basically so that the new leaders have heard the word. And of
                course, if they have questions I would answer those questions.

                Best, I think would be to have commissioners on staff, but besides
                of being extremely useful to commissioner and learners, this isn't
                in the job description of a commissioner.

                Chris

                Chris Jacobi
                jacobi@...
                District Training Chair, Stanford District PSC, Unit Commissioner, etc.
                http://www.pacsky.org/training/training.html
              • Ken Todd
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
                  Rick,

                  I have found that there is little in the basic training materials about
                  the role of the Commissioner.

                  What I have done is ask a member of the Commissioner Corps present the
                  "Where do I get help?" segment of New Leader Essentials and introduce
                  their role as guide to the units. My District Commissioner has been
                  very supportive.

                  Yours in Scouting,
                  Ken
                  --- "Rick Cordray" <rickc@...> wrote:
                  I'm about to start a review of New Leader Essentials, Cub Scout Basic
                  Leader training, Troop Committee Challenge, etc. to determine to what
                  extent the role of commissioners is introduced and explained at each
                  level...
                  Thanks,
                  Rick Cordray

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Jeff Wakefield
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
                    What I have done is ask a member of the Commissioner Corps present the
                    "Where do I get help?" segment of New Leader Essentials and introduce
                    their role as guide to the units. My District Commissioner has been
                    very supportive.

                    This is also what we do in Thundermist District, Narragansett Council.
                    Our District Commissioner does this presentation. The good news in
                    Thundermist District is that our Commissioner Corps is improving.

                    Jeff Wakefield
                    Thundermist District Cub Scout Leadership Development Chair
                    Narragansett Council