BOO - Baloo, OWL and OLS

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
      Our council is rather small, so our pool of trainers is small.

      We run IOLS, OWL and BALOO the same weekend. We share trainers among the
      courses because of the similarity of the material covered, BUT ... the only
      times the groups actually interact are:

      1) Saturday Morning - OWL and IOLS joint flag raising
      2) Saturday Lunch - OWL and BALOO learn foil pack cooking together
      3) Saturday Feast - OWL and IOLS prepare food and join together for dinner
      4) Saturday Evening - OWL and IOLS joint flag retreat
      5) Saturday night Reflection - OWL and IOLS meet. YP issues discussed here.
      6) Saturday Campfire - OWL and IOLS put on a Campfire (so they know how it
      should be done).
      7) Sunday Morning - OWL and IOLS joint flag raising
      8) Sunday Scouts Own - meet for a joint service.
      9) Sunday late Morning - OWL and IOLS joint flag retreat

      That seems like a lot, but it really isn't.

      OWL and BALOO need to remember that they are still a part of the same
      organization. It helps BALOO people to know that they can rely on their
      WL/AWL to help them if they have questions about planning campouts and/or
      campout activities.

      It shows the WL and the SM/ASM how to interact with each other. Hopefully
      you will make connections with Packs/Troops in your area to foster
      crossover. YOU as a leader will know who has been trained (you were there,
      you met them, right?!) and who is most likely to provide the quality program
      as the BSA intends.

      Our patrols love competing against each other. (We CUB SCOUTS can out-cook
      the Boy Scouts. We BOY SCOUTS can put on a better campfire than the
      Webelos.) It's fun when you get the patrol rivalry (similar to Wood Badge
      experience) where they call out their patrol cheer/yell when they just
      happen to pass each other on the trail during the day. Of course, STAFF
      encourages them. If they have a good time at their training, they'll take
      their positive attitude back to the boys. Isn't that what matters most?

      Ida

      > I have seen WLOT run with Scoutmaster Fundamentals, which makes more sense,
      > since such things as campsites, cooking demos, fuels, ax yards, etc. are
      > already set up and manned by the staff. It's also a great lead into taking
      > Scoutmaster Fundamentals a few years down the road when their webelos have
      > become boy scouts!
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
        Just think, If you combine BALOO and OWL you could call it BOWL training!

        Ida Lively wrote:

        >Our council is rather small, so our pool of trainers is small.
        >
        >We run IOLS, OWL and BALOO the same weekend. We share trainers among the
        >courses because of the similarity of the material covered, BUT ... the only
        >times the groups actually interact are:
        >
        >1) Saturday Morning - OWL and IOLS joint flag raising
        >2) Saturday Lunch - OWL and BALOO learn foil pack cooking together
        >3) Saturday Feast - OWL and IOLS prepare food and join together for dinner
        >4) Saturday Evening - OWL and IOLS joint flag retreat
        >5) Saturday night Reflection - OWL and IOLS meet. YP issues discussed here.
        >6) Saturday Campfire - OWL and IOLS put on a Campfire (so they know how it
        >should be done).
        >7) Sunday Morning - OWL and IOLS joint flag raising
        >8) Sunday Scouts Own - meet for a joint service.
        >9) Sunday late Morning - OWL and IOLS joint flag retreat
        >
        >That seems like a lot, but it really isn't.
        >
        >OWL and BALOO need to remember that they are still a part of the same
        >organization. It helps BALOO people to know that they can rely on their
        >WL/AWL to help them if they have questions about planning campouts and/or
        >campout activities.
        >
        >It shows the WL and the SM/ASM how to interact with each other. Hopefully
        >you will make connections with Packs/Troops in your area to foster
        >crossover. YOU as a leader will know who has been trained (you were there,
        >you met them, right?!) and who is most likely to provide the quality program
        >as the BSA intends.
        >
        >Our patrols love competing against each other. (We CUB SCOUTS can out-cook
        >the Boy Scouts. We BOY SCOUTS can put on a better campfire than the
        >Webelos.) It's fun when you get the patrol rivalry (similar to Wood Badge
        >experience) where they call out their patrol cheer/yell when they just
        >happen to pass each other on the trail during the day. Of course, STAFF
        >encourages them. If they have a good time at their training, they'll take
        >their positive attitude back to the boys. Isn't that what matters most?
        >
        >Ida
        >

        >>I have seen WLOT run with Scoutmaster Fundamentals, which makes more sense,
        >>since such things as campsites, cooking demos, fuels, ax yards, etc. are
        >>already set up and manned by the staff. It's also a great lead into taking
        >>Scoutmaster Fundamentals a few years down the road when their webelos have
        >>become boy scouts!

        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

      • Dan Hammond, Sr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
          Ida Lively <glezen@...> wrote in part

[...]

          That seems like a lot, but it really isn't." <snip>

          Ida and Group,

          THIS IS A FANTSATIC METHOD! (shouting intended)

          Sharing the trainers and their knowledge at one place
          at one time to cover several different training
          audiences is an excellent use of available resources.

          You keep the learning objectives separate. You can
          have some interaction between the groups (strengthens
          the New Leader Essentials concept of one program with
          three phases that support each other). And everyone
          can come away from the event knowing other leaders and
          perhaps sharing contact information.

          In our district (we have the opposite problem of Ida's
          council, we're huge) I fought and won to separate WLOT
          and IOLS. Here they were counting IOLS *as* WLOT. I
          finally convinced our training chair that what he was
          doing was incorrect by providing a comparison/contrast
          of the two syllabi. He saw the light and now we hold
          the training fopr both groups at one place at one time
          and share the trainers, while keeping the groups
          mostly separate. It's a little step, but it's
          progress.

          Sometimes you just have to remember the DaVinci carved
          "David" by chipping away the stone a little at a time.
          Same with Rodin and "The Thinker."

          =====
          Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA
          Leavenworth, KS, Army Major, NRA Life Member, Overtrained Scout Leader, Kaw District Membership Chairman, CM P3001, SA T366
          |<--W-W-W--<<<| I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)

          Cheerful Service; just because it's the right thing to do

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com