Re: Webelos Outdoor Skills & BALOO

  • Keith Tilley
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2003
      Lady T asked: "Why can't you adjust the Webelos Outdoor syllabus to
      cover the BALOO topics so that the person who has WOLS can also be BALOO
      certified without having had to sit through another full day of
      training?"

      The short answer is that BALOO is a certification course, so it has to
      be taught exactly as written. Also, changing the focus of WLOT to
      accommodate non-Webelos leaders would be cheating the Webelos Leaders in
      attendance.

      The longer answer, at the risk of duplicating what you've already heard,
      is that they're two different courses that happen to have some topics
      that are similar in name, but different in learning objectives. BSA
      actually has several courses that cover camping and outdoor skills to
      some extent, but they all have different target audiences and different
      desired outcomes. They are not interchangeable.

      (Side note to Major Hammond - it's good to see someone else use the word
      "syllabi"!)

      (Side note to my neighbor Donna - running WLOT and SMF together was a
      common practice. The new OLSWDL course is designed to run equally well
      with the new IOLS course.)

      Keith Tilley
      Hudson Valley Council, NY
    • Lloyd Solis
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
        Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

        >I don't have my copy of BALOO in front of me, but I thought there was a
        >specific prohibition printed therein against combining it with another
        >course?
        >
        >Fred Goodwin
        >Alamo Area Council

        That is my understanding also. It is printed in the syllabus.
        Lloyd

        Pardon my 'lateness' as I'm a few days behind in my scout mail lists.