BALOO vs. WLOT

  • Donna Ragusa
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2003
      Having done both training sessions, I agree that they should not be run
      together. WLOT is very specific to the Webelos program and requirements and
      concentrates on specific skills and bridging boys over to boy scouts. BALOO
      is a very general course, mostly for the first-time camper and for the
      individual in the pack who would plan an overnight for the WHOLE group.
      This would also include families and siblings and developing a program
      geared towards large groups. As Richard stated, it would not be wise to
      have your webelo leader double as your BALOO person, as they will be leaving
      shortly in most cases and truly must focus on their own program for their
      den. It would not be fair to ask them to plan a huge outing and deal with
      the outdoorsman badge as well. The ideal person for BALOO is an interested
      parent who has no other job in your pack (or maybe just a paperwork job).
      People get burned out with too much to handle!

      I have seen WLOT run with Scoutmaster Fundamentals, which makes more sense,
      since such things as campsites, cooking demos, fuels, ax yards, etc. are
      already set up and manned by the staff. It's also a great lead into taking
      Scoutmaster Fundamentals a few years down the road when their webelos have
      become boy scouts!

      Good Scouting,

      Donna Ragusa,
      Cub Training Chair & BSLT Staff,