Re: Webelos Outdoor Skills & BALOO

  • Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2003
      "Richard Damon" <rdamon@...> hit the
      nail on the head:

      "The big issue is that the skills being taught are
      actually quite different. My understanding is that
      Webelos Outdoor Leader Skills is teaching the
      Leader how to deliver a challenging and exciting
      program geared for a 9-10 year old Webelos Scout, and
      ways to teach the Outdoor Group activity badges.
      BALLO deals with administering a safe and fun PACK
      campout which has boys (and their family) from as
      young as 6 to 11 years old.

      BALOO assumes that the leader and many of the
      participant may well be first time campers, and
      teaches an easier style at a more basic level."

      The two courses are aimed at providing diffewrent
      outcomes. WLOT is designed to help Webelos Den
      Leaders put on an effective outdoor program for
      Webelos Scouts while reminding them that there are
      certain age specific things that should be left to Boy
      Scouts (Woods tools, as an example, are different for
      Webelos Scout and Boy Scouts).

      BALOO is designed to help a new cub scout leader plan
      and execute an age approriate and safe pack camping
      experience.

      There is a BIG difference between the desired
      outcomes. Thus different courses with different syllabi.

      =====
      Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA
      Leavenworth, KS, Army Major, NRA Life Member, Overtrained Scout Leader, Kaw District Membership Chairman, CM P3001, SA T366
      |<--W-W-W--<<<| I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)

      Cheerful Service; just because it's the right thing to do

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Keith Tilley
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2003
        Lady T asked: "Why can't you adjust the Webelos Outdoor syllabus to
        cover the BALOO topics so that the person who has WOLS can also be BALOO
        certified without having had to sit through another full day of
        training?"

        The short answer is that BALOO is a certification course, so it has to
        be taught exactly as written. Also, changing the focus of WLOT to
        accommodate non-Webelos leaders would be cheating the Webelos Leaders in
        attendance.

        The longer answer, at the risk of duplicating what you've already heard,
        is that they're two different courses that happen to have some topics
        that are similar in name, but different in learning objectives. BSA
        actually has several courses that cover camping and outdoor skills to
        some extent, but they all have different target audiences and different
        desired outcomes. They are not interchangeable.

        (Side note to Major Hammond - it's good to see someone else use the word
        "syllabi"!)

        (Side note to my neighbor Donna - running WLOT and SMF together was a
        common practice. The new OLSWDL course is designed to run equally well
        with the new IOLS course.)

        Keith Tilley
        Hudson Valley Council, NY
      • Lloyd Solis
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
          Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

          >I don't have my copy of BALOO in front of me, but I thought there was a
          >specific prohibition printed therein against combining it with another
          >course?
          >
          >Fred Goodwin
          >Alamo Area Council

          That is my understanding also. It is printed in the syllabus.
          Lloyd

          Pardon my 'lateness' as I'm a few days behind in my scout mail lists.