Re: Webelos Outdoor Skills & BALOO

  • Fred Goodwin, CMA
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2003
      I don't have my copy of BALOO in front of me, but I thought there was a
      specific prohibition printed therein against combining it with another
      course?

      Fred Goodwin
      Alamo Area Council

      > Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:28:20 -0000
      > From: "Lady T" <eagleladyt@...>
      >
      > Okay, the burning question from my group this fall: Why can't you
      > adjust the Webelos Outdoor syllabus to cover the BALOO topics so that
      > the person who has WOLS can also be BALOO certified without having
      > had to sit through another full day of training?
    • Dan Hammond, Sr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2003
        "Richard Damon" <rdamon@...> hit the
        nail on the head:

        "The big issue is that the skills being taught are
        actually quite different. My understanding is that
        Webelos Outdoor Leader Skills is teaching the
        Leader how to deliver a challenging and exciting
        program geared for a 9-10 year old Webelos Scout, and
        ways to teach the Outdoor Group activity badges.
        BALLO deals with administering a safe and fun PACK
        campout which has boys (and their family) from as
        young as 6 to 11 years old.

        BALOO assumes that the leader and many of the
        participant may well be first time campers, and
        teaches an easier style at a more basic level."

        The two courses are aimed at providing diffewrent
        outcomes. WLOT is designed to help Webelos Den
        Leaders put on an effective outdoor program for
        Webelos Scouts while reminding them that there are
        certain age specific things that should be left to Boy
        Scouts (Woods tools, as an example, are different for
        Webelos Scout and Boy Scouts).

        BALOO is designed to help a new cub scout leader plan
        and execute an age approriate and safe pack camping
        experience.

        There is a BIG difference between the desired
        outcomes. Thus different courses with different syllabi.

        =====
        Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA
        Leavenworth, KS, Army Major, NRA Life Member, Overtrained Scout Leader, Kaw District Membership Chairman, CM P3001, SA T366
        |<--W-W-W--<<<| I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)

        Cheerful Service; just because it's the right thing to do

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Keith Tilley
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2003
          Lady T asked: "Why can't you adjust the Webelos Outdoor syllabus to
          cover the BALOO topics so that the person who has WOLS can also be BALOO
          certified without having had to sit through another full day of
          training?"

          The short answer is that BALOO is a certification course, so it has to
          be taught exactly as written. Also, changing the focus of WLOT to
          accommodate non-Webelos leaders would be cheating the Webelos Leaders in
          attendance.

          The longer answer, at the risk of duplicating what you've already heard,
          is that they're two different courses that happen to have some topics
          that are similar in name, but different in learning objectives. BSA
          actually has several courses that cover camping and outdoor skills to
          some extent, but they all have different target audiences and different
          desired outcomes. They are not interchangeable.

          (Side note to Major Hammond - it's good to see someone else use the word
          "syllabi"!)

          (Side note to my neighbor Donna - running WLOT and SMF together was a
          common practice. The new OLSWDL course is designed to run equally well
          with the new IOLS course.)

          Keith Tilley
          Hudson Valley Council, NY
        • Lloyd Solis
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2003
            Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

            >I don't have my copy of BALOO in front of me, but I thought there was a
            >specific prohibition printed therein against combining it with another
            >course?
            >
            >Fred Goodwin
            >Alamo Area Council

            That is my understanding also. It is printed in the syllabus.
            Lloyd

            Pardon my 'lateness' as I'm a few days behind in my scout mail lists.