What counts toward Boy Scout Camping?

  • lmic657
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2003
      We have a novel situation here in our Troop with a new Scout. He did
      not attend a BSA summer camp but did attend Cub Scout camp with his
      younger brother. He was a Boy Scout at that time but it was not a
      Boy Scout camp so does that camp time count in our record keeping?
      I'm thinking specifically of the camping time needed for Order of
      the Arrow (15 nights) and the Camping Merit Badge (20 nights). Any
      help would be appreciated as I'm the record keeper.
      Thanks,
      Linda
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2003
        If you had asked about Advancement or merit badge credit I would have
        said no. But for camping nights, I can't see any reason to deny him
        credit for this. This is neither novel nor new. We give credit for
        camping overnighters if done with the family, service projects, school
        outing or some other (outside of scouting) activity. Let him have it. I
        don't believe there are any regs to the contrary.
        YiS,
        Jim Ball
        Council Training Chairman
        Central Florida Council (Orlando)

        lmic657 wrote:

        >We have a novel situation here in our Troop with a new Scout. He did
        >not attend a BSA summer camp but did attend Cub Scout camp with his
        >younger brother. He was a Boy Scout at that time but it was not a
        >Boy Scout camp so does that camp time count in our record keeping?
        >I'm thinking specifically of the camping time needed for Order of
        >the Arrow (15 nights) and the Camping Merit Badge (20 nights). Any
        >help would be appreciated as I'm the record keeper.
        >Thanks,
        >Linda

        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

      • David Gross
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26, 2003
          > From: "lmic657" <LMic657@...> wrote:
          >
          > He did not attend a BSA summer camp but did attend
          > Cub Scout camp with his younger brother.
          >
          > Jim <scoutingislife@...> wrote:
          >>
          > If you had asked about Advancement or merit badge
          > credit I would have
          > said no.

          But Jim, that's exactly what she did ask:

          > I'm thinking specifically of the camping time needed
          > for Order of the Arrow (15 nights) and the Camping
          > Merit Badge (20 nights).

          Anyway, here's my response. I'm a Scoutmaster, OA
          member, and a Camping MB Counselor. I'm also on
          various training staffs.

          The OA camping requirement is:

          After registration with a troop or team, have
          experienced fifteen days and nights of Boy Scout
          camping during the two-year period prior to the
          election. The fifteen days and nights must include
          one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting
          of six consecutive days and five nights of resident
          camping, approved and under the auspices and standards
          of the Boy Scouts of America. The balance of the
          camping must be overnight, weekend, or other
          short-term camps.

          See http://www.oa-bsa.org/annc/npm98/camping_req.htm

          If you visit that site, you'll see that "BOY SCOUT
          CAMPING" is bolded, to clarify the requirement, which
          brings "Cub Camp" into question, just as you wondered.

          The same site states the Unit Leader determines that
          this requirement has been met.

          The relevant part of the camping MB is:

          "Show experience in camping by doing the following:
          Camp out a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights.
          (You may use a week of long-term camp toward this
          requirement.) Sleep each night under the sky or in a
          tent you have pitched.

          As always, the MB Counselor determines this has been
          met.

          So, I'd need more information to answer the answer.
          What kind of "Cub Camp"? Are you talking about Day
          Camp? That would clearly not meet either requirement,
          as no camping nights are done at Day Camp.

          Are you talking about a Cub RESIDENT camping event?
          Was it long enough? (e.g., our council used to have a
          Webelos Resident camp, but it was 4 nights, not 5).

          Did he sleep in a tent he pitched? Not in a cabin or
          something. It's okay to sleep in a summer camp wall
          tent, but he'd need to strike & re-pitch it (and yes,
          I have my boys do just that).

          Assuming that nights & tents were involved, I'd have
          no problem counting these nights for camping merit
          badge.

          You might ask your local lodge chapter their opinion.
          In the end though it is the "unit leader"'s call. As
          a SM, I would be hard pressed to use them for OA, but
          would certainly seek to give the scout the benefit of
          the doubt.

          YiS,

          David

          =====
          David Gross
          SA-TG SR-556

          SM T-142, UC
          AOL, Eagle/3, OA/B, SB
          "I used to be a fox, .."

          Registered in, but not speaking for, the Greater Alabama Council

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Mark Elias
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 26, 2003
            Linda asked:
            > We have a novel situation here in our Troop with a new Scout. He did
            > not attend a BSA summer camp but did attend Cub Scout camp with his
            > younger brother. He was a Boy Scout at that time but it was not a
            > Boy Scout camp so does that camp time count in our record keeping?
            > I'm thinking specifically of the camping time needed for Order of
            > the Arrow (15 nights) and the Camping Merit Badge (20 nights). Any
            > help would be appreciated as I'm the record keeper.

            Just remember that for Camping Merit Badge - all the nights must be under
            the stars or in a tent (preferably one that the Scout has pitched himself)
            and only one week of long term camping can be applied towards the merit
            badge. Any camping that the Scout has done since joining Boy Scouts that
            meets these requirements would count towards the merit badge. Camping in
            general, again since joining Boy Scouts, would count towards the OA
            requirement.

            If you want to continue this discussion, please email me privately or let's
            take this over to a forum that deals with other issues besides training,
            like Scouts-L.

            YiS,
            Mark Elias
            Council Advancement Committee