RE: [Scouter_T] Venturing Training

  • Scott&Rita Eliason
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
      Yet another answer, sort of. Venturing Division only rolled the staff
      guide. No PowerPoint, no posters. The poster set that I use and most that
      I know of, is part of the New Leader Essential set that came with the
      roll-out. I do VLST, with a slightly modified PowerPoint (we have a pretty
      active Sea Scout squadron in our council and area) that includes much of the
      ignored Sea Scout information that should be included, and do NLE at the end
      of my course, so I have all the posters, Cub Scout and Boy Scout included.
      I was included on staff of Sea Badge Course WR-609-01 hosted by our council
      and see a much bigger Venturing Division picture than some, perhaps. (NO,
      not including Bill Sills! ;) ).

      Scott Eliason
      Venturing Leader Training Coordinator
      Aquila District, Chief Seattle Council

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
        Trainers -

        A question has come up about official training for those adult leaders in a venturing crew who serve on the committee. Is their official training the Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training (#334918) or are they required to attend Troop Committee Challenge?

        This may sound like a strange question (to me it does), but the matter has come up in a BIG project we are undertaking.

        Can you quote chapter and verse?

        Thanks in advance for your help in solving this question.

        Judy Yeager
        NT District Training Chair
        HOAC

      • R Fisher
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
          > A question has come up about official training for those
          > adult leaders in a venturing crew who serve on the committee.
          > Is their official training the Adult Venturing Leader Basic
          > Training (#334918) or are they required to attend Troop
          > Committee Challenge?
          >
          > This may sound like a strange question (to me it does), but
          > the matter has come up in a BIG project we are undertaking.
          >
          > Can you quote chapter and verse?

          In our Council, Venturing Crew Committee members are "Trained" when they
          complete Fast Start Training (included in Venturing Leader Specific
          Training), New Leader Essentials, and Venturing Leader Specific
          Training. I don't know if this qualifies, but this is what our Council
          uses as a basis.

          From the Venturing Leader Specific Training Manual (33491C) Page 3

          "Who Should Attend?

          "New crew chartered organization personnel, Venturing crew Advisors,
          associate Advisors, CREW COMMITTEE MEMBERS, Commissioners, and other
          adults involved with Venturing should attend." [Emphasis added]

          And page 36

          "Closing

          "Call EACH PARTICIPANT forward individually and give him or her a
          Trained Leader emblem, No. 00280, and a training course pocket
          certificate, No. 33767A" [Enmphasis Added]

          And from Here's Venturing (33466) Page 27

          "An adult Venturing leader is considered trained after completing the
          sessions found in Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training (33491A) which
          includes the New Crew Fast Start video (AV-03V013)and Venturing Fast
          Start(25-878) handout.

          IMO, it would be inappropriate for a Venturing Committee to be required
          to take a training program designed for Boy Scouts, just as it would be
          inappropriate for a Troop Committee to take the Pack Committee session
          of Cub Leader Specific Training. They are not the same thing. I do
          believe that there is a committee of volunteers working on a "Crew
          Committee Challenge" as it were, although I'm not sure if a targeted
          release date has been set.

          Good luck.

          YiS

          Roy Fisher
        • Mark Landry
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
            You are correct. Nationally, a member of a crew committee is trained by
            taking New Leader Essentials, and Venturing Leader Specific Training,
            since there is no Crew Committee training. Then there is Wood Badge and
            Powder Horn.

            Mark C. Landry
            Council Training Chair
            Southeast Louisiana Council
            Crew Committee
            Crew 230
            Metairie, LA.

          • Ilively@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 20, 2010
              Venturing Leadership Skills Course (VLSC) is being replaced by a new course entitled Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or ILSC. Originally the title was to be Crew Leadership Training (CLT) and during the review of the syllabus, the writers agreed the title Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews was a more fitting title and described the course more accurately.

              The purpose of ILSC is to teach crew members with leadership positions what their new job is and how to most effectively reach success in that role.

              ILSC is intended to help Venturers in leadership positions within their crew understand their responsibilities and equip them with organizational and leadership skills to fulfill those responsibilities. ILSC is the first course in the series of leadership training offered to Venturers and is a replacement for VLSC. Completion of this course is a prerequisite for Venturers to participate in the more advanced leadership courses National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) and the National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE). It is also required for Kodiak.

              You may ask, "Why the change...?" The goal is to have a uniform, aligned training platform for all programs so that those Scouters may transition smoothly from one course to the next regardless of what type of unit they belong to. All but the intro is now "program neutral" and each course needs the same basic info as prerequisite.

              The Volunteer Development Team expects this course to be released to the Scouting community within 30 days. Watch the training page on scouting.org for updates.

              Training page: www.scouting.org/volunteer/training