Re: [Scouter_T] Venturing Training

  • tsbeb@att.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
      Judy,

      The training kit did not come with posters. I have been picking them up at
      Powder Horn courses, so I could not give yoou the bin number.

      Ted Beblowski
    • Scott&Rita Eliason
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
        Yet another answer, sort of. Venturing Division only rolled the staff
        guide. No PowerPoint, no posters. The poster set that I use and most that
        I know of, is part of the New Leader Essential set that came with the
        roll-out. I do VLST, with a slightly modified PowerPoint (we have a pretty
        active Sea Scout squadron in our council and area) that includes much of the
        ignored Sea Scout information that should be included, and do NLE at the end
        of my course, so I have all the posters, Cub Scout and Boy Scout included.
        I was included on staff of Sea Badge Course WR-609-01 hosted by our council
        and see a much bigger Venturing Division picture than some, perhaps. (NO,
        not including Bill Sills! ;) ).

        Scott Eliason
        Venturing Leader Training Coordinator
        Aquila District, Chief Seattle Council

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
          Trainers -

          A question has come up about official training for those adult leaders in a venturing crew who serve on the committee. Is their official training the Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training (#334918) or are they required to attend Troop Committee Challenge?

          This may sound like a strange question (to me it does), but the matter has come up in a BIG project we are undertaking.

          Can you quote chapter and verse?

          Thanks in advance for your help in solving this question.

          Judy Yeager
          NT District Training Chair
          HOAC

        • R Fisher
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
            > A question has come up about official training for those
            > adult leaders in a venturing crew who serve on the committee.
            > Is their official training the Adult Venturing Leader Basic
            > Training (#334918) or are they required to attend Troop
            > Committee Challenge?
            >
            > This may sound like a strange question (to me it does), but
            > the matter has come up in a BIG project we are undertaking.
            >
            > Can you quote chapter and verse?

            In our Council, Venturing Crew Committee members are "Trained" when they
            complete Fast Start Training (included in Venturing Leader Specific
            Training), New Leader Essentials, and Venturing Leader Specific
            Training. I don't know if this qualifies, but this is what our Council
            uses as a basis.

            From the Venturing Leader Specific Training Manual (33491C) Page 3

            "Who Should Attend?

            "New crew chartered organization personnel, Venturing crew Advisors,
            associate Advisors, CREW COMMITTEE MEMBERS, Commissioners, and other
            adults involved with Venturing should attend." [Emphasis added]

            And page 36

            "Closing

            "Call EACH PARTICIPANT forward individually and give him or her a
            Trained Leader emblem, No. 00280, and a training course pocket
            certificate, No. 33767A" [Enmphasis Added]

            And from Here's Venturing (33466) Page 27

            "An adult Venturing leader is considered trained after completing the
            sessions found in Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training (33491A) which
            includes the New Crew Fast Start video (AV-03V013)and Venturing Fast
            Start(25-878) handout.

            IMO, it would be inappropriate for a Venturing Committee to be required
            to take a training program designed for Boy Scouts, just as it would be
            inappropriate for a Troop Committee to take the Pack Committee session
            of Cub Leader Specific Training. They are not the same thing. I do
            believe that there is a committee of volunteers working on a "Crew
            Committee Challenge" as it were, although I'm not sure if a targeted
            release date has been set.

            Good luck.

            YiS

            Roy Fisher
          • Mark Landry
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
              You are correct. Nationally, a member of a crew committee is trained by
              taking New Leader Essentials, and Venturing Leader Specific Training,
              since there is no Crew Committee training. Then there is Wood Badge and
              Powder Horn.

              Mark C. Landry
              Council Training Chair
              Southeast Louisiana Council
              Crew Committee
              Crew 230
              Metairie, LA.

            • Ilively@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 20, 2010
                Venturing Leadership Skills Course (VLSC) is being replaced by a new course entitled Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or ILSC. Originally the title was to be Crew Leadership Training (CLT) and during the review of the syllabus, the writers agreed the title Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews was a more fitting title and described the course more accurately.

                The purpose of ILSC is to teach crew members with leadership positions what their new job is and how to most effectively reach success in that role.

                ILSC is intended to help Venturers in leadership positions within their crew understand their responsibilities and equip them with organizational and leadership skills to fulfill those responsibilities. ILSC is the first course in the series of leadership training offered to Venturers and is a replacement for VLSC. Completion of this course is a prerequisite for Venturers to participate in the more advanced leadership courses National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) and the National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE). It is also required for Kodiak.

                You may ask, "Why the change...?" The goal is to have a uniform, aligned training platform for all programs so that those Scouters may transition smoothly from one course to the next regardless of what type of unit they belong to. All but the intro is now "program neutral" and each course needs the same basic info as prerequisite.

                The Volunteer Development Team expects this course to be released to the Scouting community within 30 days. Watch the training page on scouting.org for updates.

                Training page: www.scouting.org/volunteer/training