Venturing Training

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
      Need some help here. It's Venturing week at camp and all my Venturing folks
      are there so I can't ask them.

      When national rolled out the new training a couple of years ago and we all
      got the box full of little brief cases, did the Venturing set come with
      posters? If so, does someone have the order number for that set of posters?
      I looked at the reorder form that was included in the box but did not see
      Venturing posters.

      Thanks for your help.

      Judy Yeager
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
        There are posters associated with the adult Venturing
        training. I don't know the order number, but
        Venturing basic was offered to adults at an event we
        held for the youth last fall, and I recall seeing
        either 2 or 3 different posters up on the wall as I
        slipped past the training area on my way elsewhere.

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Bill Nelson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
          No posters that I am aware of.

          You can order some if you want though:

          Venturing Poster 25-561
          Venturing Poster 02-534
          Venturing Awards and Recognition Program Poster 25-884A
        • Venture Crew 37
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
            I made my own posters using the Power Point presentations from the web and a color printer. This way I could add the Open House details and contact infromation. Also I could make it as large or small as I wanted. 11X17" for leaving at a school and larger poster for events where bigger is better. For the larger sizes you would need a larger scale plotter.

            Hope this help

            johnnie wimpee

            Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
            Need some help here. It's Venturing week at camp and all my Venturing folks
            are there so I can't ask them.

            When national rolled out the new training a couple of years ago and we all
            got the box full of little brief cases, did the Venturing set come with
            posters? If so, does someone have the order number for that set of posters?
            I looked at the reorder form that was included in the box but did not see
            Venturing posters.

            Thanks for your help.

            Judy Yeager

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
              Judy,

              The training kit did not come with posters. I have been picking them up at
              Powder Horn courses, so I could not give yoou the bin number.

              Ted Beblowski
            • Scott&Rita Eliason
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 9, 2003
                Yet another answer, sort of. Venturing Division only rolled the staff
                guide. No PowerPoint, no posters. The poster set that I use and most that
                I know of, is part of the New Leader Essential set that came with the
                roll-out. I do VLST, with a slightly modified PowerPoint (we have a pretty
                active Sea Scout squadron in our council and area) that includes much of the
                ignored Sea Scout information that should be included, and do NLE at the end
                of my course, so I have all the posters, Cub Scout and Boy Scout included.
                I was included on staff of Sea Badge Course WR-609-01 hosted by our council
                and see a much bigger Venturing Division picture than some, perhaps. (NO,
                not including Bill Sills! ;) ).

                Scott Eliason
                Venturing Leader Training Coordinator
                Aquila District, Chief Seattle Council

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
                  Trainers -

                  A question has come up about official training for those adult leaders in a venturing crew who serve on the committee. Is their official training the Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training (#334918) or are they required to attend Troop Committee Challenge?

                  This may sound like a strange question (to me it does), but the matter has come up in a BIG project we are undertaking.

                  Can you quote chapter and verse?

                  Thanks in advance for your help in solving this question.

                  Judy Yeager
                  NT District Training Chair
                  HOAC

                • R Fisher
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
                    > A question has come up about official training for those
                    > adult leaders in a venturing crew who serve on the committee.
                    > Is their official training the Adult Venturing Leader Basic
                    > Training (#334918) or are they required to attend Troop
                    > Committee Challenge?
                    >
                    > This may sound like a strange question (to me it does), but
                    > the matter has come up in a BIG project we are undertaking.
                    >
                    > Can you quote chapter and verse?

                    In our Council, Venturing Crew Committee members are "Trained" when they
                    complete Fast Start Training (included in Venturing Leader Specific
                    Training), New Leader Essentials, and Venturing Leader Specific
                    Training. I don't know if this qualifies, but this is what our Council
                    uses as a basis.

                    From the Venturing Leader Specific Training Manual (33491C) Page 3

                    "Who Should Attend?

                    "New crew chartered organization personnel, Venturing crew Advisors,
                    associate Advisors, CREW COMMITTEE MEMBERS, Commissioners, and other
                    adults involved with Venturing should attend." [Emphasis added]

                    And page 36

                    "Closing

                    "Call EACH PARTICIPANT forward individually and give him or her a
                    Trained Leader emblem, No. 00280, and a training course pocket
                    certificate, No. 33767A" [Enmphasis Added]

                    And from Here's Venturing (33466) Page 27

                    "An adult Venturing leader is considered trained after completing the
                    sessions found in Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training (33491A) which
                    includes the New Crew Fast Start video (AV-03V013)and Venturing Fast
                    Start(25-878) handout.

                    IMO, it would be inappropriate for a Venturing Committee to be required
                    to take a training program designed for Boy Scouts, just as it would be
                    inappropriate for a Troop Committee to take the Pack Committee session
                    of Cub Leader Specific Training. They are not the same thing. I do
                    believe that there is a committee of volunteers working on a "Crew
                    Committee Challenge" as it were, although I'm not sure if a targeted
                    release date has been set.

                    Good luck.

                    YiS

                    Roy Fisher
                  • Mark Landry
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
                      You are correct. Nationally, a member of a crew committee is trained by
                      taking New Leader Essentials, and Venturing Leader Specific Training,
                      since there is no Crew Committee training. Then there is Wood Badge and
                      Powder Horn.

                      Mark C. Landry
                      Council Training Chair
                      Southeast Louisiana Council
                      Crew Committee
                      Crew 230
                      Metairie, LA.

                    • Ilively@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 20, 2010
                        Venturing Leadership Skills Course (VLSC) is being replaced by a new course entitled Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or ILSC. Originally the title was to be Crew Leadership Training (CLT) and during the review of the syllabus, the writers agreed the title Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews was a more fitting title and described the course more accurately.

                        The purpose of ILSC is to teach crew members with leadership positions what their new job is and how to most effectively reach success in that role.

                        ILSC is intended to help Venturers in leadership positions within their crew understand their responsibilities and equip them with organizational and leadership skills to fulfill those responsibilities. ILSC is the first course in the series of leadership training offered to Venturers and is a replacement for VLSC. Completion of this course is a prerequisite for Venturers to participate in the more advanced leadership courses National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) and the National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE). It is also required for Kodiak.

                        You may ask, "Why the change...?" The goal is to have a uniform, aligned training platform for all programs so that those Scouters may transition smoothly from one course to the next regardless of what type of unit they belong to. All but the intro is now "program neutral" and each course needs the same basic info as prerequisite.

                        The Volunteer Development Team expects this course to be released to the Scouting community within 30 days. Watch the training page on scouting.org for updates.

                        Training page: www.scouting.org/volunteer/training